A Reboarding Step . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

A Reboarding Step . .

Postby tattoo on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:13 pm

Sometimes sailors and/or guests fall overboard! And failure to reboard can be fatal. It can take a lot of strength ... which diminishes with age and rapidly (or everyone) in cold water.

Every crew (solo or not) should conduct reboarding drills. PocketShip has two features that help in reboarding. The wing on the bottom of the rudder can be used as a step and the supports for the gallows provide good purchase for pulling yourself up-and-over the coaming. To these features can be added some enhansments. The rudder wing-step can be made more useful if the tiller is immobilized. And you can add another step on the transom as shown in the photos.

When warm weather arrives I plan to test my ability to reboard. I'll be sure Tattoo is anchored in waist-deep water and there is someone available to help (if I fail).

Note that although it may be convenient to "lash" the tiller when under way, it does have a "safety" drawback. If you fall overboard and your tiller is lashed and the sheet cleated, the boat may just sail itself away from you ... leaving you miles behind! I know that one shouldn't cleat the main sheet on a small sailboat. But if the wind is modest and steady and you are using a "quick release" jam cleat, it is tempting and sometimes necessary to give your arm a rest, use the UHF radio, etc. Just be careful not to simutaneously cleat the main sheet and lash the tiller.
Attachments
DSCF2540.JPG
Installation detail. It's a SeaDog Chrome Brass Folding Step. SeaDog suggests using #12 hardward. But I drilled out the mounting holes for 1/4 x 20 OHMS. Note the mounting wedge and the wedge shaped inside washers. They were made from a 1.25" dowel.
DSCF2540.JPG (181.24 KiB) Viewed 12780 times
DSCF2548.JPG
Step in stowed position. Note that it is placed just above the waterline and outboard.
DSCF2548.JPG (129.92 KiB) Viewed 12784 times
DSCF2549.JPG
Reboarding step deployed for use.
DSCF2549.JPG (137.16 KiB) Viewed 12746 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Re: A Reboarding Step . .

Postby jwv630 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Tatoo:

Your suggestion to practice reboarding drills is an excellent one. Several years ago, I had just dropped my 17' Carolina Skiff in the water after work at the Dundee Creek marina, off the Gunpowder river. I was singlehanded at the time. Just about 50 yards from the dock, when I was retrieving one of the bumpers on the side of the boat my feet came out from under me suddenly - and I fell head first into the water. The boat was in gear at the time but almost at an idle. I ended up swimming (in my good work clothes/tie/leather shoes) after the boat for maybe 1/4 mile until it beached itself in a marsh. The only way I could get back into the boat was to very carefully try and get a foothold somewhere on the outdrive with the prop still spinning. Point is it happens when you least expect it and can, potentially, have deadly results. Need to be prepared, practice, and think thru these types of situations in advance. I did not have a PFD on at the time I went over....

Your folding step...great idea. I cannot tell exactly where you installed it..? Transom?

Best wishes,
Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Postby tattoo on Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:26 pm

The step is on the transom on the side away from the engine just a little above the waterline.

You were lucky to survive your mishap. I can't over emphasize the diminished strength with age or fatigue. Like at the end of a day of sailing. Since my retirement in 2001 (age 67) I have constructed a two car garage with attic storage, an extension for a shop, and 5 boats. Now at 78, and feeling healthy and active, I can nevertheless tell that my strength in all manner is much less than [it was] at my retirement. That is in lifting, grip, pushing, pulling, etc. I first noticed this (I was 74) on a cruise with my 20 year old grandson. I had a very hard time (after a swim) reboarding our boat (the water was shoulder deep) while my grandson clammored aboard like it was nothing! After that cruise I installed a boarding step on that transom.
tattoo

Postby Diving Duck on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:19 pm

The reboarding step a very good idea for everyone, but especially us older folks. I have to say your latest reply was encouraging in another way. I'll be 70 in October and have been trying to decide whether to take on a project as large as the Pocketship at my age. Your statement that you are 78 and have built 5 boats including the Pocketship since you were 67 is helping me decide to go ahead with it!
Diving Duck

Re: A Reboarding Step & age comments . .

Postby tattoo on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:20 pm

For Diving Duck's consideration -- I think my boat and shop projects and sailing have had a positive effect on my health. If I don't overdo it, time in the shop or with my boat(s) is like mental therapy. I try to be constantly conscious of safty issues, especially with power tools and climbing. In over 60 years (power tool use) I never had an injury until last year when I nicked my thumb with the band saw. I was ripping a small piece and pushing it [too far] with my thumb instead of a push stick ... dumb?! The cut was just about 1/16" deep. Lots of bleeding but it only needed a bandaid. Finger cuts are painful and take a long time to heal. I was either tired or distracted. Nearly all "accidents" occur when one has worked (or played) to the point of being tired and needing rest. It's not just physical, the brain get tired too and thinking is seriously impaired. That point is reached earlier with increased age. My shop-day ends at lunch or a little after. Good luck with your project.
tattoo

Postby captain charlie on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:38 pm

This is for Diving Duck who was wondering if he was too old to take on the Pocketship project. I just turned 70 last week and am about half way through the build and am loving every minute. As that old song goes, "enjoy yourself, it's later than you think". Go for it! Captain Charlie
captain charlie

Postby kilderkin on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:51 am

Seems to be a recurring theme here.....

I gave up my 33' sailboat two years ago, missed the sailing, found the Pocketship. Put the centerboard in yesterday, just finished the third coat of resin on the outside of the hull. Still trying to launch her this year. And, yes, I'm retired, and 69 years old!

SteveW
kilderkin

Postby Diving Duck on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks for all the encouragement. The only problem is I'm not retired and we have to do a lot of traveling for my wife's health problems. Not much time left for building boats--so I might be 80 before I get it finished! But if I'm as lucky with my health as I have been so far I'll still be able to enjoy it. If not, building it is half the fun.
Diving Duck

Postby Roy Widman on Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:32 am

Interesting to see the ages of Pocketship builders, I'm about to get started on mine and I am 70 today. Could we be starting a cult like "Potters"?
...Roy from Laramie, WY
Roy Widman

Postby mtsailor on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:48 am

Appreciated the above thread. I found a nice old brass boarding step on Ebay a few years back and have planned on mounting it on the transom. Interesting that so many of us PocketShip builders are "seasoned sailors". I'm 70 in Dec....how time slips by. Sold my 34' sloop a few years ago when single handing became a challenge due to knees going south. Built a couple kayaks and a Eastport Pram, but really needed another sailboat. My PocketShip has been a four-year project, so far. Great boat, exciting project and enjoying every minute. Keep moving, build good & enjoy the process. Jer aka mtsailor.

BTW: Apple did away with their MobileMe service and my albums went with it. I'm planning to build a website soon to upload my PocketShip construction album.
mtsailor

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum