space aft of bulkhead 8

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

space aft of bulkhead 8

Postby captain charlie on Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:45 pm

I am to the point of putting down the floor boards and was wondering what goes in the space between bulkhead 8 and the transom and under the seats? Is that just one big area that is accessible by the two hatches? If that's the case, does stuff get lost there, say, under the footwell? I was thinking of extending the sides of the footwell down and filling that narrow space with additional floatation. Any thoughts? captain charlie
captain charlie

Re: space aft of bulkhead 8

Postby JonLee on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:41 am

The area under the cockpit sole aft of bulkhead #8 should be stuffed with foam. This is shown in the plans, though mention of it is omitted in the manual.

Currently, in my boat, the foam is just exposed in there, visible when you open the lazarette hatches. Several other people (Pete, Dave) have added some extra plywood decking in there, similar to what you suggest, to partition off the foam. Seems like a good idea.
JonLee

Postby chaertl on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:50 pm

I've been having trouble with rain water getting into that area and getting under the foam. This wouldn't be much of problem but the state is starting roadside check points for trailered boats and has doubled fines for not completely draining bilge water. Partitioning the foam off would make bailing it out after a good down pour much easier and create a little more floatation if swamped. If the plastic hatches are leaking when it rains I'm not betting on them to keep that area watertight if swamped.

Chris
chaertl

Postby tattoo on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Check out my posting of 2/9/12 about "Lazerette Floors & Leaking Hatches." Even with a cockpit cover enough rain water comes in around the gallows supports to leak an inch or so after a heavy rain. I haven't raised the hatches [yet] with a bezel, but I'll do it this winter and I'll make it out of 1/2" plywood. Hopefully, that will take care of it.

My bilges are bone dry except for rain water thru the companionway hatch left open. Anyway, it's rain water and not lake, river, or sea water. But the environmentalists don't know the difference. The PocketShip hull is water tight and there is no prop shaft thru a leaky stuffing box. And I've been in some pretty rough water and as yet haven't had a wave over the coaming. Even if a wave came over the side, it would drain overboard and not into the bilge.

Pete McCrary
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Return to PocketShip Forum