watch your center of gravity

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

watch your center of gravity

Postby chaertl on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Just a little warning for anyone else using a "repurposed" trailer. When we pulled out of the boat launch today I had to cut a corner a little tight to avoid someone who had pulled up to far and hit the curb. It wasn't very hard but it put the Chuck B. over on it's side. I needed to check the bottom but this wasn't how I had planned to do it. I was expecting to find the starboard side pretty much destroyed when we rolled it back over but much to my suprise the only damage is a scuffed up rubrail and a small area on the interior of the cabin bulkhead about two inches long where the joint failed. I added some 3" glass strips to that joint and reccomend it after this. The trailer in question is a Balko taken from a 14' Alumacraft with a 1500 lb rating but obviosly the axel is narrower then it should be. If anyone gets frustrated with the rub rails and is tempted to leave them off , don't. They just turned something that should have been a major repair into some minor cosmetic work.

Chris
chaertl

Re: watch your center of gravity

Postby jwv630 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:18 pm

Chris:

That could have been very nasty for your Chuck B. Glad everything worked out all right....

Jimmy V
Victory II
jwv630

Re: watch your center of gravity

Postby chaertl on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks Jimmy,

Unfortunately there was more damage after taking a closer look. I've got a crack right under the starboard rail from the spot the bridgedeck and aft cabin bulkhead meet the side and running about 18" aft. I just sent an email to CLC about the best way to get into that water tight compartment and reinforce the side. It's still an amazingly small amout of damage and a compliment to the strength of the design. As for the trailer, I did some measureing and it's wheel track is roughly 10" narrower then the Trailex trailer. If anyone has ideas on how to widen an axel without having to change spring mounts I'd like to hear them!

Chris
chaertl

Return to PocketShip Forum