A Mast "Safety Stop" and Anchor Rode stop . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

A Mast "Safety Stop" and Anchor Rode stop . .

Postby tattoo on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:29 pm

Ordinarily, the mast must be lowered if (for some reason) you want to lower the jib and forestay. This is occasionally convenient for any number of reasons while either afloat or on her trailer. In order to do this I have fabricated a “Mast Safety Stop” that is placed on top of the bow sprit and is just long enough to gently wedge between the breast hook and the forward face of the mast. It is easily removed so that the mast may be lowered.

Originally, I made this mast stop so that (with Tattoo on her trailer) I could hold the mast upright while slacking off the jib halyard. I wanted to do this so that I could flex the mast (aft) so as to allow (as much as possible) the tightening of the port & starboard mast shrouds. Even if I don’t need to slack off the jib halyard – I keep the stop in its functional place. It is not “in the way” of any sailing activity and provides a measure of safety if for any reason the jib halyard should give way or become loose from its cleat. On one occasion the jib halyard had “fouled” at the head of the jib when raising the mast. I didn’t discover that the halyard was fouled until the jib wouldn’t unfurl. With the mast stop in place and while on the water I was able to easily lower the jib & forestay in order to clear the fouled halyard without lowering the mast.

DSCF2680.JPG
Mast Safety Stop propped up on bow sprit and anchor deck coaming . .
DSCF2680.JPG (193.79 KiB) Viewed 1980 times

DSCF2682.JPG
Mast Safety Stop in place. Notice the bitter ends of the anchor rodes . .
DSCF2682.JPG (192.44 KiB) Viewed 2001 times

Notice that I have drilled two holes (side to side) in the bow sprit. As a safety measure, I carry two anchors. Also, as a safety measure, I have reeved the bitter end of each rode thru a hole in the bow sprit and secured it with a figure-8 stop knot. Now, if the rode "gets away from me" the anchor and rode will not be lost. The inboard part of the bow sprit is subject to little other than compression forces. The holes don't significantly reduce its required strength.
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Return to PocketShip Forum