Stormy encounter with 5 CAL25s . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Stormy encounter with 5 CAL25s . .

Postby tattoo on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:30 pm

At the Corsica River Yacht Club's regatta (this past July) there were 5 CAL 25s that entered the "race over" from Annapolis to the Corsica River. As usual, they "rafted up" together just off the yacht club's pier and beach. Tattoo and a half dozen other boats also anchored in the area. Thunder storms were threatening all late afternoon. We got ours just after dark with strong winds. The CAL 25s dragged their anchor(s) and came down (all still rafted together) on Marc's catboat and then on Tattoo. I had to leave early the next morning and when I arrived home I had received an email from Marc who saw the trouble I was having and wanted to know if I was ok. The following was my reply:

"Thanks [Marc] for thinking about me and Tattoo's encounter with the "CAL 25 knuckleheads." Earlier my small "Navy type" anchor started to drag. In the past it has held well, but not this time. I wanted to use it because it is easier to deploy and recover. However, in the future I'll go back to my heavier 13# Rocna.

When I noticed it wasn't holding, I deployed the Rocna which stopped the dragging. But just at that time the CAL 25s all came down on me. Both anchor rodes fouled on their starboard-side boat's (?) keel or rudder (its stern to the wind). It was a big struggle to keep the boats from damaging each other. They finally "unrafted" their starboard-side boat that was fouling my rodes. We got loose only after the CAL 25 started its engine and pulled either forward or aft. Its a wonder how they managed not to foul my lines with their prop.

When we were finally separated, I had about 70 feet of line and chain out on each anchor. Tattoo was upwind of their raft, but still quite close. I shortened my scope down to about 40 feet by first pulling in one line, and then the other, alternating. Very hard to pull up against the wind. I was closer to the shore and the CAL 25s than I wanted to be, but I didn't try to reset either anchor. When the wind let up and the moon came out, I felt safe enough to sleep. I guess it was about 10:30 or 11pm. Fortunately, I did sleep well.

In the morning I had a hell-of-a-time raising the anchor(s). They both came up tangled and together! It took all the strength I had to lift both anchors and chains. Fortunately, it was calm, and I could untangle the anchors with them both on deck (boat adrift, but not going anywhere). Retrieved the smaller Navy type and rested a while before retrieving the Rocna and getting under way. I appreciated that John came by (rowing your dinghy) to check on me before I got under way.

The extreme effort put me in bad physical shape. It didn't really hit me until Sunday night. Lots of muscle and back pain. Just now recovering after a couple of treatments by a chiropractor. Bruises over my ribs from leaning over the side of the cabin trying to keep boats apart, shortening the scope during the storm, and lifting both anchors/chains together. But it could have been a lot worse.

When I got home I told Annie that I had decided to sell Tattoo. But just two days later, I think I've changed my mind again. I really love my times on the water. I'll just have to choose my times more carefully."
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Re: Stormy encounter with 5 CAL25s . .

Postby chaertl on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi Pete,

I don't know if its option where you were but I've run the Chucky B up on a sandy beach without incident several times. With the shoal draft those Cal 25"s would have been aground long before they posed a threat to you.

Take care,

Chris
chaertl

Postby jwv630 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Jeez, I never thought I'd hear Pete McCrary say he was selling his beloved Tatoo....That's a nasty experience Pete; sorry. Yes, there seems to always be a few 'yahoos' on the water that can spoil the fun; even make it dangerous for other boaters. Hang tough; heal up - then get 'back in the saddle' asap. Love your posts here on the PS Builders Forum.

Regards,

Jimmy Vitale
Victory II (5% finished)
jwv630

Postby jwv630 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:41 am

Pete:

In hind sight, would you have rather had a danforth anchor instead of the Rocna or your Navy anchor?? Always something to learn from an bad experience.....

Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Postby John C. Harris on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:29 am

I've had a lot of sleepness nights at anchor fretting about dragging, or other people dragging. Fortunately, there are solutions.

First of all, I always carry a giant anchor. The anchor I cruise with on PocketShip is a 26.5-pound Bruce, which is suggested for boats up to 35 feet (!). With about ten feet of 3/8" chain and a lot of scope, I will not drag. Will. Not. Drag.

Second, I always make full use of PocketShip's 16-inch draft in choosing an anchorage. I anchor wherever the big boats don't. Sometimes it takes some poking around, but usually I can find an incredibly sheltered spot in shallow water. The bigger boats will run aground before they can get to you! The bonus is that shallow spots are usually more private and quiet, well away from the party barges.

Have to watch the tide, though! Many years ago, cruising in a Montgomery 15 on Florida's Gulf Coast, my secluded shallow anchorage ended up shallower than desired when the tide went out.

M15 Off Whale Key - Wallpaper.JPG
M15 Off Whale Key - Wallpaper.JPG (41.46 KiB) Viewed 6647 times

I slept comfortably in the nook between berth and hull side. And there was no dragging or dragging neighbors. I sailed off when the tide returned.
John C. Harris

Return to PocketShip Forum