Advice for clueless newbie

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Advice for clueless newbie

Postby Diving Duck on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:13 am

I am now in the process of building a Skerry and will be taking sailing lessons on it. So at this point I am a total novice when it comes to sailing. Also land-locked (Oklahoma) so will be learning on lakes and reservoirs. I am looking really hard at the Pocketship as my next project. In the beginning at least, all my sailing would be on inland waters, but as you probably know it can get pretty darn windy in Oklahoma. So my question is, is the Pocketship too much boat for me to handle (after I have learned to sail the Skerry)?
Diving Duck

Re: Advice for clueless newbie

Postby chaertl on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:18 pm

With a little common sense you shouldn't have any trouble at all. If you can handle a small boat like the Skerry that has minimal ballast you'll probably feel safer in a Pocketship since it just doesn't want to capsize. I'm just finishing the first season and the advice I'd give is take someone with you until you're familiar with the boat and don't go out in winds over 15mph the first few times. The few times I've single handed mine I've used the main only to keep things simple which works just fine.

Take care,

Chris
chaertl

Postby jwv630 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:08 am

Hey Diving Duck:

We have a similar history as my Dad and I built a Skerry a few years ago. Although we had 20 years experience in powerboats, we never had sailed so we took a sailing course towards the end of our Skerry build. I primarily row the Skerry in the Middle river/upper Chesapeake Bay for exercise and to just to get out on the water but sail it sometimes also. Love that boat; easy to sail too. I'm now in the early stages of my Pocketship build. Plan to take another sailing course and maybe a few private lessons when it get's christened. You'll probably find sailing friends with no boat that will gladly join you and offer some tips. Go for it....

Good luck,
Jimmy Vitale
Victory II
jwv630

Postby Diving Duck on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks, to both who replied. Your answers are a great help. Pocketship will most likely be my next build, but who knows when I'll get started.

As to rowing the Skerry, I found it to be fine if someone is sitting in the stern, but when I try to row by myself in the middle seat, the weathercocking is terrible. I think it's just a little light and sits too high for winds above 10 mph. Maybe I should put a sandbag or two in the stern seat. I know this is not a Skerry forum, but if you have any thoughts I'd love to hear them--perhaps better by email, [email protected], so don't take up forum space.
Diving Duck

Return to PocketShip Forum