Covers for cockpit & anchor deck . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Covers for cockpit & anchor deck . .

Postby tattoo on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Our driveway is surrounded by lots of trees – and they are shedding debris of some sort all year long. So, I had fabricated covers for the cockpit and anchor decks. Such covers usually need centerline support so that snow, rain, debris, etc won’t “pool” on the canvas. This photo shows the aft end of the ridge pole that I constructed for the cockpit. It rests on the transom (a little elevated) and at the top of the companionway hatch. Notice the two supports that extend from the ridge pole to the coaming. They were needed because the slope was insufficient near the stern.

IMG_20120830_090944.jpg
Aft end of ridge pole . .
IMG_20120830_090944.jpg (152.37 KiB) Viewed 7429 times

The next photo shows the aft end of the anchor deck ridge pole and the forward end of the cockpit pole. The forward pole looks like a fork where it goes around the tabernacle. Both are easily removed and stowed in my garage. The covers are not suitable for transporting on road or water. I suppose they could be applied while at a mooring or a dockside slip. But the tie down arrangement would be entirely different.

IMG_20120830_090821.jpg
Midship ends of ridge poles . .
IMG_20120830_090821.jpg (156.19 KiB) Viewed 7437 times

The last photo shows a full view of the covers deployed on Tattoo. It’s a custom fit. Tattoo was left at the canvas shop with the ridge poles in place. The forward and/or the aft sections of the cockpit cover can easily be folded back for access to the companionway or the lazarettes without entirely removing the cover. Deployment and removal takes about 10 to 15 minutes.

IMG_20120830_085808.jpg
Deployed covers . .
IMG_20120830_085808.jpg (192.14 KiB) Viewed 7489 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Re: Covers for cockpit & anchor deck . .

Postby Pascal on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:18 pm

Great pictures. I was wondering why you did not put the cover to cover the mast as well. I am always learning looking at your pictures.
Pascal

Postby tattoo on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:47 pm

The two pieces are much easier to deploy than one (or several) that would cover the entire boat. The cabin roof and hatches shed water directly over the side. Any leaves and stuff can be brushed off (the cabin roof) fairly easily and don't collect in hard-to-get-to places. My setup doesn't keep out all moisture -- but almost all. And the leaves and pollen are totally eliminated. Also, I can enter the cabin and aft cockpit without entirely removing the cover.
tattoo

Postby jwv630 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:44 am

Hi Pete:

I don't see a dorade box in picture #2. Did you decide to forego the boxes? If so, why?

Thanks and good luck. Tatoo is really lookin' good.

Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Postby tattoo on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:27 am

The boxes are there under the fwd cover. The air scoops were simply pulled out. They are just lying under the cover on the anchor deck.
tattoo

Postby jwv630 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:31 am

Oh, ok. Would you mind sharing which canvas shop made your covers. Cost? I'm in your area; northern Baltimore county.

Thanks
Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Postby tattoo on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:22 pm

Galesville Yacht Canvas, 4805 Riverside Drive, 410/867-7510. Vickie & John, a couple from South Africa. They do very good work. I'm not sure of the amount -- they have done a lot of work for me and my records are scant. I've considered their charges reasonable considering the quality.
tattoo

Return to PocketShip Forum