A bigger Pocketship?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

A bigger Pocketship?

Postby Diving Duck on Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:28 pm

While the Pocketship is a wonderful design and almost perfect, it's not quite what I have in mind for spending a few days on the water. Is anyone interested in lobbying CLC to design something just a little larger, maybe 15 - 17 ft to allow installation of nicer bunks and a mini-galley? Or maybe even up to 18 -20 ft and add a small galley and maybe a head? (Take a look at the West Wight Potter 19 http://www.westwightpotter.com/products/potter-19/--not bad except that it is made of plastic.)

Still, they are Chesapeake LIGHT Craft, and I would not expect them to come up with anything any larger than that. This would dilute their mission too much I expect--it's important to keep the kayak and other small builders supported. At the same time, I think one more boat a little larger than the Pocketship would not be too much of a stretch.

What do you think?
Diving Duck

Re: A bigger Pocketship?

Postby Diving Duck on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:54 am

I got no replies and I see why--the Pocketship is a nearly perfect design for weekend boaters who don't have the use of a marina, etc. Like most regular folks I need a light boat that I can trailer with a small car or pickup. I will seldom be on the water for more than a day and if I do an overnight I can always take along a cooler and maybe even a little camp stove (to be put on the land before use). I now realize that the Pocketship is the way to go. I kinda had my tongue hanging out at the Potter 19, but it's not practical for my (and I suspect most folks') needs. And anyway I'm getting ahead of myself--got to finish the Skerry first.
So never mind! :)
Diving Duck

Postby jwv630 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:06 am

Diving:

While Pocketship is the only sailing vessel I've had (still only 5% completed), I've owned quite a few motorboats from 17' to 42'. I've come to the conclusion that 'more' is not always better - maybe never better; just more stuff to take care of, break, cost, etc. I considered a larger boat during the due diligence phase prior to selecting to build Pocketship. The things that won me over were her simplicity, good looks, and the quality of service that I always get from the guys at CLC whenever I need help.

Good luck with the Skerry. I love mine.

Regards,
Jimmy Vitale
Baltimore
jwv630

Postby JonLee on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:18 am

Just from a boat geek point of view, I'd love to see that boat. Given that (in my opinon, now having a little experience with both) PocketShip eats the Potter 15 for breakfast, I'd bet John Harris could do something that'd make Potter 19 owners cry in humbled dispair every night. But, it'd definitely be pushing the definition of "Light Craft."

You should have a peek at some of Sam Devlin's designs..he has a couple of sailboats in the range you're dreaming about.
JonLee

Postby Diving Duck on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:39 pm

I have looked at Sam Devlin's designs and I agree he has some great ones. Am pretty sure I'll stick with the Pocketship though--agree with previous responder, simpler is better. I was getting a little carried away after looking at the Potter 19--not the boat itself (would never buy plastic) but the basic design, which is why I thought CLC might take an interest in a little bit larger one. If the sizes keep creeping up though they won't stay in the light craft category much longer (if there even is such a category).
Diving Duck

Postby John C. Harris on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:17 pm

Well, I appreciate all the nice remarks. Having just finished a CLC-branded 31-footer (Madness-the-proa) it's not necessarily all tiny boats here, but of course the 31-footer in question only weighs 1400lbs.

There are loads and loads of great pocket cruiser designs that are a size or two up from PocketShip. There's a difference, though: the whole PocketShip thing is about having an extravagantly detailed set of instructions, which lowers the barrier for builders, and also a tight and sophisticated kit for those who choose. So the big problem with going up a size is that the development cost varies as the cube of length. Like I say, there are loads of designs out there, but most of them are just a roll of plans---for intermediate-to-advanced builders, only.

When the dust settled, PocketShip's initial development cost was about $55,000, with the majority of the expense going to the documentation and tweaking of the kit. CLC could only afford the project in 2007 because I kicked in a chunk of that personally---I wanted PocketShip for my own use! I won't mention how much Madness-the-proa cost; it was unspeakably expensive, and again only came about because it was a personal mania of mine. The name gives a clue, and fortunately home-built versions will only cost about 20% as much. I had a yard build mine. But while its kit and roll of plans are nice, it will never have a manual with PocketShip's level of detail. An 18- or 20-foot PocketShip, displacing a ton or more, is beyond us until I win the lottery and can engage in recreational kit development.

I HAVE gotten a lot of mail looking for a bigger PocketShip, which is gratifying, and it's impossible for my nervous hands not to sketch up some ideas. They all fall into two categories: Either exponentially more expensive than PocketShip, or, if I try to mitigate the cost by simplifying the design, capability is lost and you might as well just build PocketShip. There was a partially strip-planked design I liked a lot, but its cabin volume was no larger. I looked at just stretching out the 15-footer a few feet, which gave you an outboard well and room for a mizzen mast, to create a yawl with the same main and jib. But it would just be too expensive.

I was startled to see a bright red PocketShip ease into Port Townsend today, marking another rare moment with two of them floating in one place.
John C. Harris

Postby Diving Duck on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:00 pm

I had a moment of madness there myself for a while. You can't beat the Pocketship and though I haven't seen the manual yet I'm sure it's fantastic. 116' roll of full-size plans if you build from scratch! Who else does that? Every other set of plans I've ever heard of have to be lofted.

One quick question which I'm pretty sure I know the answer to: If you build from plans then it's scarf joints, right? I don't think a homebuilder could make puzzle joints without a CNC router (some folks have 'em, not me).

John, I really enjoyed your article in "Wooden Boat" on the Aida, interesting subject and very nice writing style. I knew you were talented, but this is too much--where do you find the time and energy? BTW I was in Maryland for the CLC Open House (last October, I think it was). Got a great lesson on tool sharpening and one from you on varnishing. Learned a lot of valuable lessons, many of which I have already put to use--not just on boats.
Diving Duck

Postby JonLee on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:21 am

I think any of us who have used the plans/manual would be happy to vouch for the fact that they are indeed awesome...I'd recommend ordering the manual just to read over before committing to the project. Or just to read to entertain yourself. You can easily build the boat in your head after reading the manual.

You are correct, Duck, if you buildfrom plan, you do have to scarf the plywood. It is not as bad as it sounds, though. I initially chickened out and tried using a circular saw and scarfing jig...with mixed results. Then I cut some scarfs using a hand plane. That was so quick and easy that I kicked myself hard for ever trying to do it another way! Anyway...the point I was trying to get at is don't find scarf joints intimidating like I did initially. :-)

Well, time to curl up go to sleep in my bright red PocketShip. :-)
JonLee

Postby Pascal on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:32 am

Congratulation she looks beautiful. Thank you for sharing your experience. Have a fun on the water. :)
Pascal

Postby Diving Duck on Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:00 pm

As to scarfs, is it possible to scarf two full sheets of plywood together first first, then trace the outlines for several long parts on them? That would solve the problem of trying to get the sections perfectly aligned and the exact right length. It sounds almost impossible to do though--or I don't know maybe that's the way it's done. I've never built a boat from plans--kits always had the scarfs already cut, or had puzzle joints.
Last edited by Diving Duck on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diving Duck

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum