Inverting hull question

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: Inverting hull question

Postby Diving Duck on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:19 pm

Sorry I didn't read your post that carefully--prone to do that sometimes on the Internet. Anyway I missed the part about the ropes and blocks. That is a great idea.
Diving Duck

Postby Diving Duck on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Didn't realize there is a page 2! Ignore the following comment: For some reason my previous post did not appear. Anyway it basically said sorry I didn't read your post very carefully. Rope and blocks is a great idea! Much better than my complicated plan.
Last edited by Diving Duck on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diving Duck

Postby mtsailor on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:19 pm

I was lucky to have the help of two other people to roll my PS. It was an easy job -- two people can do it. The boat was on furniture dollies, so I rolled it out of the garage, turned up-side-down, positioned the dollies under the cabin top and rolled it back in. The hull is glassed, painted, and the swing keel is installed. I have the help of four guys and tomorrow we are going roll it right-side-up and pick it up and place it on the trailer. Heading for AZ in a week, or so, and I'm happy with the progress made this summer. Might actually be sailing next summer. Hope everyone has a good Winter. Stay warm, build good, enjoy. Jer (aka mtsailor)
mtsailor

Postby Diving Duck on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Didn't realize there is a page 2! Ignore the following comment: I've been trying to reply to this with no luck, so trying again. I'm sorry I didn't read carefully enough. The rope and block method sounds like a great idea. Much better than my huge contraption that would probably never fit into a garage.
Last edited by Diving Duck on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diving Duck

Postby kilderkin on Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:44 am

So, today was the day. I (with some friends) rolled Kilderkin II back upright in place inside the garage. Here's the rig:

I placed a scaffold pole across multiple joists, wrapped a short length of chain around it, and suspended a 1-ton chain hoist ($40 from CAP) from it. I couldn't find any pulleys that I trusted for the load, so I set up an old trailer axle with two rims (no tires) hanging from the hoist. I wrapped old dock lines round the inverted hull, over the rims, and tied them tightly in place, to make loops. With people steadying the boat, I lifted her up to the limit of the hoist, removed all the old tires and supports from under, then gently rotated her in the rope slings. The ropes turned the rims, no rubbing on the hull. Her rubbing strake just cleared the floor! Still hanging, I lined up four tires under the keel, and lowered her down, still with folk steadying her. Two jack stands were then placed under the stern.

I'll now build proper supports so I can finish the work (the cabin and cockpit aren't fiberglassed yet). I'm leaving the hoist in place to lift the boat onto the trailer, and also for any future maintenance issues. I'll replace the axle with a beam.

I have photos, but have no idea how to post them - e-mail me if interested ([email protected])

SteveW
kilderkin

Postby Dave Archer on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:05 am

My pocket ship is very near where I need to turn it over. My concern is what to do with it when I turn it back? Do I put it back into the cradle until completed and the trailer is ready or do I build the trailer first then just load it directly onto the trailer? I worry that the cradle will damage the finished paint job. Do I cut the cradle wider and fit some protective material? Any ideas would be great
Dave Archer

Postby JonLee on Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:34 am

I put the boat back in a modified verison of the cradle. I cut the sides off the cradle, increased the spacing between the port and starboard halves of the cradle, and lined the cradle with some old carpet that I had laying around.
JonLee

Postby kilderkin on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:02 pm

Modifying and re-using the build cradle sounds like a smart idea - I broke mine getting it off.

Right now Kilderkin II is resting on four carpeted pieces of 2x4 so the keel bears the load. The sternmost one is 6' long, and I fastened to it two carpeted supports that fit snugly under the chine near the stern. I will build one more stabilizer for the bow.

I thought of putting her on the trailer, but I didn't want the height increase - I still have to fiberglass above the rubbing strake, and install the companionway cover. However, I'm leaving the lift setup in place (replacing the axle with a simple beam) ready to load onto the trailer, and even for future maintenance.

SteveW
kilderkin

Postby Dave Archer on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:58 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I will modify the cradle and pad with carpet. My cradle has casters fitted under so I can easily move it about. I also have height restrictions getting it out through the garage which has a low back door. I'm building under the "wife's" patio at the rear of the house, and so the pressure is up to get it done! Before the PS, I built a caravan out there and so you can imagine the PRESSURE! The crazy things we do?
Dave Archer

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum