Lazerete hatches

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Lazerete hatches

Postby chaertl on Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:09 am

Hi Everyone,

With winter setting in it's time to start thinking about fixing problems that cropped up last summer. One of the biggest I've had is leaking hatches. I used Tempress hatches since they were cheaper but they leak like crazy. After the last rainfall I got nearly 2 gallons out of the lazeretes. Anyone have a brand they've had good luck with?

Chris
chaertl

Re: Lazerete hatches

Postby decurtis on Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:59 am

I used Bomar hatches and I am not completely happy with how tight the seal is when they close. I am glad however that I put decking or a floor in my lazarettes so that they are not open to the flotation foam in the rear of Pocketship. It makes cleanup of any water intrusion a lot easier.
decurtis

Postby chaertl on Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi Dan,

Bomar makes two different types of hatches. The access hatches are rated pretty poorly but the inspection hatches are rated pretty well. Do you remember which version you used?

Thanks,

Chris
chaertl

Postby decurtis on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 am

They were the inspection hatches. Overall the construction quality is good but I have just not been satisfied with how efficiently the latches hold the hatch cover down tight enough.
decurtis

Postby chaertl on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:02 pm

This is an update on this problem. The original drain holes in the cockpit were drilled at a slight angle that choked the hole down to about 1/8" in the rope locker and prevented proper drainage. I got a short break in the weather two weeks ago and drilled the drains to 3/4" and haven't had any leakage since. Even after removing the winter cover then getting 8" of wet snow the next day. I was certain I'd find the lazeretes half full like last spring but they were nearly dry.

Chris
chaertl

Return to PocketShip Forum