Laminated Tiller

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Laminated Tiller

Postby Helpful Son on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:42 pm

My dad has been building a pocketship, so I thought that for Christmas that I would laminate a tiller for him with two different coloured woods. Could some let me know the dimensions? Is it safe to use most woods, as long as they are well varnished? I could ask my dad these questions, but it would be less of a surprise.
Helpful Son

Re: Laminated Tiller

Postby John C. Harris on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:19 pm

I have an emailable version; john [at] clcboats.com

Or let's see if I can post it:

Tiller Dimensions.jpg
Tiller Dimensions.jpg (153.59 KiB) Viewed 11051 times
John C. Harris

Postby Helpful Son on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks, John. Maybe I'm missing something, but I couldn't figure out the thickness.
Helpful Son

Postby JonLee on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:45 pm

The tiller should be 3/4" thick. I'd go with at least one strong, fairly stiff wood in your laminate...at 3/4" thick, the tiller can be a bit floppy under load if you use a wood that is not stiff enough. I sailed PocketShip #1 and found her 3/4" tiller to be a bit too compliant for my tastes.

My tiller is made out of solid 1" thick ash, milled to 3/4" where just where it slips into the rudder. It doesn't deform under load, but of course it isn't as attractive as the laminated tiller you are hoping to build. :-)

Good Luck!
JonLee

Postby Helpful Son on Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:56 pm

thanks for all the quick responses.
Helpful Son

Postby Pascal on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:51 pm

I did mine with mahogany and fir and it is great. I since added an extension to it . I tried to post a picture but could not sorry :)
You could see it on the "Pascal pocketship blog" My daughter had given me 4 hours of her time in the shop for father's day and we built the tiller that way. Loved it !
Pascal

Postby Helpful Son on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Pascal, that is exactly what I had envisioned doing! Very helpful pictures on your blog. How thick did you decide to do each strip? Would you advise that I do an extension from the start? Did you simply do ten 1/4" strips that were an inch wide?

I'd have my daughter give me a hand, but at seven months old, I'm still not allowed to put her to work in the wood shop.
Helpful Son

Postby Pascal on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:50 am

I would recommend doing the extension at the same time. While sitting back you cannot use the tiller very well. With the extension it is very comfortable. I did use 1/4 " strips ;) and I took the cut off part to do the extension. I could send you a picture to an email if you like.
Pascal

Postby John C. Harris on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:57 am

I consider a tiller extension, with a universal joint on the tiller, to be almost indispensable for enjoying a boat this size. Naturally, as these things go, mine has been sitting in the box uninstalled for four years now.

My original tiller was longer and thicker-sectioned, stepping down to 3/4" where it slotted into the rudder. This "felt" right, but I drew the hole in the transom too small on PocketShip #1. The thicker tiller bound in the opening, limiting the swing of the rudder. Also, that tiller extended nearly to the front end of the cockpit, great for singlehanding but a nuisance with a crew aboard. I replaced it with the shorter laminated tiller in the plans and manual.
John C. Harris

Postby kilderkin on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:55 am

So, guess what Kilderkin II got in her stocking - a beautiful ash and mahogany tiller, with a matching piece for an extension - really cool. So, thanks to my son Rob (helped in spirit by Kate), and also JonLee, JohnC, Pascal and any others I don't know about - I love this Pocketship community!

Now all I need is three warm days to finish sheathing the hull! Not easy in MA.
kilderkin

Return to PocketShip Forum