Small Garage - Wheelies?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Small Garage - Wheelies?

Postby truenorth on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:47 am

I'm gearing up for a PocketShip build come spring and I'm going to need all the space I can get in my small garage (really, the only option is the garage). I figure I'll have about 18" clearance starboard-port and 12" bow-stern. I thought if I could build the boat on casters or wheels, I'll be able to push it when needed. That extra foot will make a tremendous difference. So, is that possible or advisable? If so, what can I use? I know the hull weight is about 800lb and it will push 1k when I'm in the boat. Or am I in for a tight squeeze?
truenorth

Re: Small Garage - Wheelies?

Postby Diving Duck on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:51 am

You'll need some heavy-duty casters with a fairly large wheel. These would be a minimum - [url]http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_1029422_1029422?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Casters-_-300%20-%20499%20Lbs.-_-189222&ci_sku=189222&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CIOft83hsLQCFayPPAodkBwAAw[/url] . They will support three-hundred pounds each so two on each cradle should be fine. You will also need to fabricate some kind of platform on the cradles to mount the flanges. I would try to find even larger casters though, just to make them easier to roll around. Good luck.
Diving Duck

Postby Pascal on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:28 pm

After doing the fillet on inside of Naoned I put her cradle on 4 furnitures cart from Home Depot ($20.00 each )Worked perfect till the end of the project. Have fun with your boat it is a great project.
Pascal

Postby truenorth on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Pascal, that sounds perfect and I see them in the pictures. How did you stop them from rolling when you did not want them to roll? And did you find that they were strong enough to support the boat and you?
truenorth

Postby Pascal on Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:50 pm

I put 2x4 I had in the shop on the floor to stop her from rolling down. The cart were perfect with me on board no problem with the weight I am 185 pounds...Happy holidays to all
Pascal

Postby tattoo on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:03 pm

You don't really need wheels. Skids do just as well and maybe better. See my topic (posted 12/24/2012) on wooden floor for a building surface.
tattoo

Postby chaertl on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:34 pm

If you're nearby I still have the casters off my building cradel. You'll need to support the back of the keel like the maunal showa or you might find yourself in some questionable positions climbing in and out.

Chris
chaertl

Return to PocketShip Forum