Outside and Idle

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Outside and Idle

Postby truenorth on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:11 pm

I may be able to build PocketShip outside, instead of the unheated garage, which would give me enough room to maneuver around the boat and set the tools up where I can reach them easily. But of course this means it'll be outside. I live in Minnesota where the temperature extremes can make it feel more like Mars than the United States. We had a low last week of neg 6 F and last summer I can remember a week of 90+ with 90% humidity. A finished boat would have problems in this environment but I have to think an unfinished one would be worse.

How do unfinished boats with their exposed fillets and epoxies stand up to extreme weather? I wouldn't be working on it during those months so it'll be sitting idle until the weather improves, probably 5 months idle at a time. Also, what precautions can I take to help mitigate the temperature risk?
truenorth

Re: Outside and Idle

Postby Shudoman on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:49 pm

I don't think that the cold is a problem for epoxy or marine plywood. The problem with the cold is getting the epoxy to "kick" or set up. As far as I know the only thing that will degrade epoxy is UV. So as long as the build is protected from the rain, snow and UV, I don't think there is a problem. I recall a very nice Chebacca build in northern England that was done entirely in a temporary poly-tarp out building.

Bill
Shudoman

Postby chaertl on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi True North,

First of all what part of the state are you in? I'm just west of the Twin Cities. The biggest problem either finished or unfinished would be keeping everyting dry. Marine ply may have waterproof glue but it will warp and rot if it's allowed to get wet. The epoxy hardner will crystalize if allowed to freeze too but dried epoxy won't have any problems. I just turnrd off the space heater and brought the laast of mine in from the garage this week since 50 degrees is about as low as you can reliably get it to set up in a reasonable amount of time. I'd worry about the cystalizing around 40 too. If you're in the area and have any questions let me know. The Chucky B. is tucked away in the drive way for now but come spring I'm always looking for crew.

Chris
chaertl

Postby truenorth on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:43 am

Chris, you may have found your best friend and worst nightmare :lol:

Agree on the problems with epoxy and building in cold weather (which really is anything < 50 deg) so I'm really curious about interim storage. As this will be a 2 year project, it'll be two winters idle unless/until I find another home for it. Good advice on the dry part. That will be a consideration.

Would absolutely love to stop by and take a peek at Chucky B. I'm just pricing plywood now and firming up on missing tools (block plane, etc). I'm hoping we get another 75 degree St. Patrick's Day, which means an early summer for us and an early start on s/v True North!

I'm in the SW Metro. I'll take this to PM's so as not to bug everyone else.
truenorth

Postby kayakgirl on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:21 pm

WinterInMontana.jpg
WinterInMontana.jpg (85.3 KiB) Viewed 5193 times

I live in Montana with similar weather extremes. I bought a heavy-duty metal carport to keep everything snug and dry while building as well as where the boat will live when it's finished. It has UV-protective tarps on the east and south sides, a set of metal doors facing west to handle the storms that come barreling through here and also where the boat will come and go on the trailer later on. There's a clear tarp facing north where UV isn't much of an issue and I can see the boat in progress and look forward to spring. I'm careful not to expose the epoxy to temperature extremes, so all of that is put away for the winter in my insulated garage. My project is taking a long time since my boat-building season is pretty short and also takes place while I want to be kayaking and doing everything else, but oh well. It'll get done eventually!
kayakgirl

Return to PocketShip Forum