Lehr propane outboards

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Lehr propane outboards

Postby chaertl on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:54 am

Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried the new propane powered outboards from Lehr? I heard they had production problems with the first batch they rushed to get out for last year's Miami boat show but made good on all those and haven't heard anything negative since. I'm planning on ordering the 2.5hp later today since the idea of not having gas leaks and needing an extra can sounds good. Have to be more reliable then the 1960's vintage 3 hp I'm using now too.

Chris
chaertl

Re: Lehr propane outboards

Postby tattoo on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Is propane heavier than air? If it is, don't you still have to be careful regarding leaks? I have a propane "camp stove" in my galley and I worry a little about leaks around the connecting nipple on the bottle. Do I need to? Is leaking propane just as safe as alcohol? Just a [few] thoughts.
Pete McCrary, Tattoo's builder and skipper
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Postby chaertl on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi Pete,

Propane is heavier then air but these motors run off the same cylinders as a camp stove. They're mounted on the top of the engine so any leaks are already overboard and I'm planning to store the extra cylinders in the rope lockers and make the cockpit drain holes larger for better draining and venting if there's a bad cylinder. You still have to be careful but between the quick flash fire from a propane leak and a long burning fire from liquid gasoline I'll take the propane. Wouldn't be the first time I've singed some hair but at least it can't splash around trying to put it out.

Take care,

Chris
chaertl

Postby captain charlie on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:41 pm

I ordered the Lehr 2.5 last fall. My pocketship is getting the finishing touches on the bottom, so it will be this spring before I have it on the water. I run it on a stand with a 5 gal bucket of water - do this every month or so. I've had no trouble starting it, and the bottle attaches and detaches easily. I bought it from IBoats as they had free shipping. The motor itself was the same price everywhere. At 37 pounds I can handle it without too much trouble (I'm not 37 pounds the motor is). I also liked the idea of not having the gasoline around. regards, Captain Charlie, in Arkansas.
captain charlie

Postby chaertl on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Glad to hear that Captain,

You neve know if you can trust online reviews so nice to know you're having good luck so far.

Chris
chaertl

Postby truenorth on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:12 pm

That looks really interesting. I like it for many reasons and seems like the power's sufficient. Where do you keep the propane and how long are you running the lines? PS's cockpit seems relatively small so at least with gas you can hide the can... but doesn't appear so here?
truenorth

Postby chaertl on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:07 pm

The camp stove size cylinder fits in a mount on the back of the engine and is supposed to give an hours run time at full throttle. Obviously longer at part throttle which is about what I'm getting with a full tank on the 3hp Johnson. It has a connection for an external tank which can be any size made. They have a fiberglass 5lb tank that you can see through to tell the level and should fit in the footwell under the tiller. I saw some other barbecue models at Fleet Farm tonight that are cheaper and might fit too. Didn't have a tape measure with though.If I go out for longer then a day I'll probably get an external tank otherwise the 16.4 ounce cylinders should be fine for daysailing. It should be in on Wednesday if you'd like to get together and check it out.

Chris
chaertl

Return to PocketShip Forum