Dragging a Kayak with PS?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Dragging a Kayak with PS?

Postby truenorth on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:28 pm

I saw a video of a sailor dragging a small sit-on-top, plastic kayak behind his 17' boat down the Florida Keys. Ignoring the obvious travesty of having a plastic kayak vs. a wooden one, is that something PS can manage without too much of an impact on her performance? The thinking is to have an available mode of transport for fun and/or emergency.

Any other considerations? (outboard issues, sea conditions?)
truenorth

Re: Dragging a Kayak with PS?

Postby tattoo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:05 pm

Tattoo's present tender, Pluto, is a CLC Eastport Nesting Pram. When towed, she probably slows Tattoo down a little, but not a whole lot. When tacking (or other sailing maneuvers), she just tags along without requiring any special attention. For an overnight cruise I like to have her along so I can explore the shore or just row or sail around the harbor. The pram (when nested) can fit into Tattoo's cockpit when trailering. The smaller "half" is easily loaded/unloaded into (or out of) the cockpit, but the heavier (about 50+ lbs) is much more difficult (for me). Usually, at the ramp, I can recruit a helper. With two, it's fairly easy. Tattoo's first dinghy, Copycat, is shown below.

DSCF1215.JPG
Spars & furled sail in their Sunbrella cover and stepped. The rig may also be laid flat on the thwarts.
DSCF1215.JPG (110.63 KiB) Viewed 4591 times

I'm now considering a small light-weight kayak as a replacement for Pluto. I'd like a tender that I wouldn't need help loading/unloading for road transport. Before Pluto, I had Copycat, a Nutshell Pram (WoodenBoat Magazine kit manufactured by CLC). It wouldn't "nest" and had to be cartopped. Copycat is FOR SALE ($1,999 oars, sail, beach dolly, etc) and, if I replace Pluto with a kayak, Pluto will be for sale too.

DSCF1163.JPG
Early morning (May 2008) at Gunston Cove, Potomac River.
DSCF1163.JPG (103.3 KiB) Viewed 4594 times

Fall 07.jpg
Construction complete. Everything inboard (excpt 8" of the mast), ready for towing.
Fall 07.jpg (122.17 KiB) Viewed 4605 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Postby kayakgirl on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:49 pm

I'm planning on towing my wooden kayak and having the best of both worlds--Pocketship for crossings and comfortable camping, and my kayak for exploring shorelines. I was thinking it might be tricky getting into the kayak from Pocketship, but perhaps a paddlefloat with the paddle secured under the bungies on the stern deck would stabilize it enough. Or maybe a little boarding ladder designed just for that purpose would be worth it. I'll find out!
kayakgirl

Postby Donm1753 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:45 am

They're not pretty, but an inflatable kayak makes a good, stable tender. If you have a battery onboard you can inflate it when you get to your destination rather than towing it (although they tow fairly well too). We chartered a sailboat up in Alaska and they used inflatable kayaks for tenders. Entry and exit wasn't that hard, even with full winter clothing.
Donm1753

Return to PocketShip Forum