Rigging of spinnaker

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Rigging of spinnaker

Postby Dave Archer on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:59 am

Please can someone advise on how the Spinnaker is rigged at the bow sprit. The manual is not clear on this. I can see that there is a block attached to the end of a rope extension to clear the furler. What happens with the rope ends? One to the spinnaker corner and the other back to the cockpit? The photo does not show this. I am just beginning the rigging work on my new pocketship now.
Dave Archer

Re: Rigging of spinnaker

Postby tattoo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am

Dave, have a look at my 9/20/2011 posting titled "Spinnaker . ." and the memo that I attached. One end of the line that goes through the block has a snap hook on it that is attached to the tack of the spinnaker and the other end belayed to a cleat (downhaul cleat) on the mast. Some call this line the "spinnaker downhaul." You could also call it an upside-down halyard. When not in use -- I bring the snap hook back to the downhaul cleat. Actually, I snap it to the shackle at the head-end of the spinnaker halyard which (when not in use) is also brought down to the downhaul cleat.

I think my memo has it right. But there are so many elements to rigging, deploying, and retrieval of the spinnaker that it is easy to get some of it wrong. And trying to describe a 3-dimentional rig (without a diagram) isn't easy. If you discover an error, please let me know and I'll correct my memo. I keep a copy on board Tattoo so that I can refresh my memory just before rigging and deploying my spinnaker. Next I might try my hand at a diagram (of my memo). My spinnaker is used so seldom that an element or two of the rigging routine can be easily over looked. Good luck.
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Postby Dave Archer on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:08 pm

thanks for the reply. Have visited your post and all clear now.......I think.
Dave Archer

Postby John C. Harris on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:31 am

Here is my 2011 "How to Set PocketShip's Spinnaker" post:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134&p=997&hilit=spinnaker#p997
John C. Harris

Postby Dave Archer on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks again John. My Pocketship is now nearing painting stage. She is upside down and all glassed up. Not too long now... Just for interest, how many Pocketships are in Australia and are there any others in Perth?

Regards Dave
Dave Archer

Postby tattoo on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Dave, John, … After reviewing procedures for rigging and launching PocketShip’s spinnaker, it’s apparent to this solo sailor that the procedure set out by John has the greater advantage for a solo sailor. Having deployed Tattoo’s spinnaker only with a mate at the helm and myself working the spinnaker – I can report that jibing is a huge handful! Sailing solo the spinnaker could be launched quickly enough to regain the helm before going off course too much. But I wouldn’t want to jibe her (sailing solo). So, I would say, the more elaborate set up requiring two sheets (about 3x the length of one) and a crew would only be worth it for a serious racing crew.

In preparing my own procedural notes I take it (from John’s setup) that “The tack outhaul must be led OUTSIDE the shrouds, as shown [#2 diagram]” means that the tack outhaul should be led forward of the shrouds as opposed to abaft of them. With this understanding, I have revised (a copy) of John’s #2 diagram to show the port-side shroud as well as the jib sheet. Have I got it right?

Spinnaker A15.jpg
Diagram #2 showing positions of port-side shroud and jib sheet . .
Spinnaker A15.jpg (45.53 KiB) Viewed 11615 times

I would make two other notes regarding the deployment procedure. First, the spinnaker halyard [shackle end] should come down on the same side of the jib stay from which the spinnaker is deployed. This also means that when dousing – and redeploying on the other side (so as to jibe) – the halyard shackle should be removed from the spinnaker head and [the halyard] passed over the jib stay so as to come down on the other side for reattachment to the spinnaker head. Second, when attaching the outhaul shackle to the spinnaker tack – be careful that it is brought OVER the jib sheet. This may seem obvious, but when deploying the spinnaker, the jib is usually furled and the sheets just taut – and they rise up at a fairly steep angle from the cabin roof – and it’s easy to go the wrong way (i.e., under them).

I’ll call this John’s Spinnaker Setting Procedure and keep a copy of it for use on Tattoo – whether sailing solo or with a crew. But for those who might want to use the more elaborate “Spinnaker Setup -- Jibing Without Dousing,” I’ve made a few changes that clarify some points. Just request an updated copy by email.
tattoo

Postby tattoo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:05 am

Dave, John, … Sometimes complex problems are solved at night in a state of “near sleep.” That happened last night. In a clear 3-d vision of a spinnaker deployment on Tattoo – I could see that the 3rd paragraph of my previous post was still not correct! After dousing and redeploying (on the other side so as to jibe) the outhaul (as well as the halyard) must be passed over the jib stay. Otherwise, when deployed on the new tack and inflated, the spinnaker’s head and tack will be confined within the jib stay rather than from the mast head and [end of] the bow sprit.

Do I now have it right? Or, are the problems (chaffing, lines fouled) associated with the spinnaker (on the new tack) even serious enough to worry about? Are the possible consequences simply trivial? Have I missed something else that a sailor needs to be reminded of? If I have (at last) got it right, the 3rd paragraph of the previous post should read:

“I would make two other notes regarding the deployment procedure. First, the spinnaker halyard and outhaul shackle ends should come down [or back] on the same side of the jib stay from which the spinnaker is deployed. This also means that when dousing – and redeploying on the other side (so as to jibe) – those shackles should be removed from the spinnaker [head & tack] and the [halyard & outhaul] passed over the jib stay so as to be on the other side for reattachment to the spinnaker. Second, when attaching the outhaul shackle to the spinnaker tack – be careful that it is brought OVER the jib sheet. This may seem obvious, but when deploying the spinnaker, the jib is usually furled and the sheets just taut, rising up at a fairly steep angle from the cabin roof – and it’s easy to go the wrong way (i.e., under them).”

Comments would be appreciated.
tattoo

Postby Dave Archer on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:54 am

Hello Tattoo,

I read your last more closely and agree that you appear to have got it right. It is a complex arrangement to which I will apply my mind to when I get to that phase. There must be a tidier way to get it all to the other side when needed. Your sugested method seems the best I have seen so far.

Thanks

Dave
Dave Archer

Postby tattoo on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:39 pm

Dave & John, ... Although I plan to use John’s less complicated single-sheet rigging setup for spinnaker deployment on Tattoo – some skippers my want to rig their PocketShip so that jibing may be possible without dousing the spinnaker. To that end I have corrected and revised my description of the rigging procedure for the double-sheet setup. The two pages are attached here in “.jpg” format. I think they can be printed by “right clicking” on the images. If members want a “.pdf” version -– just request a copy (to my email address).

Spinnaker r1 pg1.jpg
Page 1, Double-Sheet Spinnaker Rigging Setup.
Spinnaker r1 pg1.jpg (200.62 KiB) Viewed 11490 times

Spinnaker r1 pg2a.jpg
Page 2, Double-Sheet Spinnaker Rigging Setup.
Spinnaker r1 pg2a.jpg (200.4 KiB) Viewed 11430 times
tattoo

Return to PocketShip Forum