Sail color

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Sail color

Postby Diving Duck on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:58 am

This seems trivial I know, but I'm wondering why practically everyone opts for the tanbark sails instead of cream or white. To me, a boat with sails is one of the most beautiful sights on the water, but white or off-white is much prettier than a dark brownish-red. I can't find any precedent for that color either, except possibly some native-built craft in various parts of the world. This is obviously a matter of personal taste--just wondering if I am the only one who sees it that way--no big deal either way, just trying to make a decision.
Diving Duck

Re: Sail color

Postby John C. Harris on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:05 pm

"Tanbark" was the predominant color of European working sail before engines took over. The term refers to the bark-based tannins used to help preserve cotton sails back in the day. This "tanning" process helped prevent rot and UV degradation.

If you poke around on the web, the consensus for the old-time tanbark sail recipe was something like "catechutannic acid, vegetable tannins, fermented urine, and fermented dung." I am not kidding.

Traditional smallcraft still use wine-colored sails, though nowadays it's just dyed dacron. While mostly an affectation in the 21st century, red sails are more visible, don't reflect sunlight into the skipper's eyes, and don't show dirt and wear like white sails do.

I chose tanbark for PocketShip #1 for two reasons: to stand out in photographs, and because PocketShip vaguely resembles the gaff-headed British pilot cutters that had tanbark sails.

This photo's for Peter:

John C. Harris

Postby Diving Duck on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Interesting. Thanks. The practicalities, i.e., more visible and not reflecting into skipper's eyes, are important considerations.
Diving Duck

Postby tattoo on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:05 pm

Diving Duck & John,... If the photo was meant for Tattoo's skipper -- thank you. It's very nice. I'm still thinking about that yawl rig.

I've used "tanbark" sails on three of the 7 sailboats that I've built. A little more expensive -- but really beautiful. Also easier on your eyes in bright sunlight. I chose the "cream" for Tattoo (my PocketShip) because I thought I'd try something different. Also, I planned to use it for cruising and will be on the water at night. The white sail really shows up when you shine a flashlight on it (at night). If you are stranded out in the dark in motorboat traffic it's a way to show yourself to others. I also have a battery-powered (4 AA) 360 degree 2 mile LED light that I hoist on my flag halyard as an anchor light. And Tattoo is wired with running lights, but batteries do run down. So far, after 2 sailing seasons and more than a dozen nights on the water, I've never been underway in the night time. Except maybe in twilight on an early morning departure.
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Return to PocketShip Forum