A "duster" for Tattoo & Possible Yawl Rig . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

A "duster" for Tattoo & Possible Yawl Rig . .

Postby tattoo on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:19 pm

About 50 years ago I was fascinated with Solcum's Sailing Alone Around the World. A few days ago I picked up my old copy -- just couldn't put it down. More fun the 2nd time! I saw a picture of the Spray with her "port duster" on page 171. Reminded me of Tattoo in hers. Tattoo may not sail "Around the World," but she's at home on the Chesapeake.

Tattoo & Spray 1st in dusters.jpg
I didn't know that my "canopy" was called a "duster" until seeing this picture of the Spray.
Tattoo & Spray 1st in dusters.jpg (92.02 KiB) Viewed 2502 times

I'm considering Tattoo as a yawl. Shown is my present concept. John has provided helpful comments. I would fabricate new gaff and boom just for the yawl. And of course, a mizzen mast and sprit boom. The main mast would only need its track extended a bit. John suggested a standing lug for the mizzen. The triangular mizzen sail may not look so pretty with a gaff main'sl, but with a "sprit" boom it requires one less spar and may be more easily furled by just rolling its leech and foot up against its mast. It's my plan to keep both rigs. If I much prefer one over the other, then I'd consider selling [the sail and spars not used]. Forum members are invited to offer their own ideas and suggestions on the subject.

Tattoo in yawl rig.jpg
Conceptual sketch. Details still under consideration.
Tattoo in yawl rig.jpg (69.46 KiB) Viewed 2295 times

Captian Solcum converted his Spray from a sloop rig to a yawl. The Spray is a much bigger boat than PocketShip, but his conversion was quite successful. Both of Spray's rigs would "self-steer" with the helm "lashed." Other sailors made much of that, but the Captian thought it nothing special -- commenting that maybe other sailors hadn't much tried [to do it] with their own rigs. My Tattoo will "self-steer" in a steady wind and wave action if I don't change the crew weight distribution. I'm hoping that Tattoo will behave well as a yawl. I've always liked that look for a sail boat. If I do it, that will be another mimic of Slocum's Spray.

Spray sloop to yawl.jpg
Captian Solcum made Spray a yawl about halfway into his voyage.
Spray sloop to yawl.jpg (53.95 KiB) Viewed 2326 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Return to PocketShip Forum