Tattoo's yawl option . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Tattoo's yawl option . .

Postby tattoo on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 pm

An earlier posting about PocketShip possibly being rigged as a yawl has inspired me to make an alternate rig for Tattoo. I'm trying to have it ready by this sailing season. John's sketch showed a balanced lug mainsail with a standing lug for the mizzen. That would require a major modification of the tabernacle so that it could support a "stayless" mainmast. John suggested that alternatively, I could keep the present rig (perhaps slightly shortening the boom) and stick a mizzen mast [at the transom] with a standing lug of 33 sqft. With a view to perhaps easier handling [solo] and requiring just two spars, I've opted for a smaller mainsail and a 28 sqft mizzen rigged as a triangular sail with a sprit boom.

Tattoo in yawl rig.jpg
Tattoo's alternate yawl rig . .
Tattoo in yawl rig.jpg (69.46 KiB) Viewed 2644 times

That arrangement calls for replacements for the boom and gaff -- and new mast and boom for the mizzen. And, of course, new mainsail and mizzensail. I'm keeping the old rig components and fabricating the new yawl components so that they can be easily switched. If I really like one much better than the other -- I'll offer one for sale.

The sails are ordered. And the new spars completed. The mizzen mast is 12 feet long, partially hollowed, and tapered from 2-3/8" to 1-1/4". It is made of two laminaions of Southern White Pine and weighs just 5.5 lbs. The gaff and sprit boom are made of the same material and weigh 2 and 1-1/4 lbs, respectively. The sprit boom may more than double in weight if I decide to make it a "wishbone" sprit. The replacement boom (for the new mainsail) is made of three laminations of Douglas Fir. Its cross section and length are slightly smaller [than the PocketShip's design], but at 11 lbs, I think it is a bit heavier. Maybe heavier is better-- absent a boom vang? But I'd hate to have it hit me in the head [a suprise jibe]!

IMG_20130328_133208.jpg
Mizzen mast, Pluto's oars, boom [mainsail's], sprit boom, and gaff [mainsail's] . .
IMG_20130328_133208.jpg (73.82 KiB) Viewed 2873 times

Incidentally, the entire mizzen rig will probably weigh about 10 lbs (maybe less). I plan to just lift it off its step and stick it into the mast step of Tattoo's dinghy. Her dinghy is Pluto, an Eastport Nesting Pram that I made from a CLC kit. Shown in the photo [above] with the spars are Pluto's oars which are also made of Southern White Pine. They weigh just 2-1/2 lbs each (not yet with leathers). The Eastport Nesting pram has a standing lug rig with a 42 sqft sail. If I like sailing Pluto with a [just] 28 sqft sail, then I'll probably offer the entire existing rig (tanbark sail, mast, yard, boom, and halyard & sheet with cover for the whole works) to an interested Eastport Pram builder. By the way, I have for sale a 7' 8" Nutshell Pram that I don't need [photo below]. It's designed by Joel White and offered by WoodenBoat Magazine as a kit manufactured by CLC.

DSCF1081.JPG
Copycat -- A 7' 8" Nutshell Pram (design by Joel White)
DSCF1081.JPG (88.57 KiB) Viewed 2787 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Return to PocketShip Forum