trailer

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

trailer

Postby Bflat on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:43 pm

I've ordered the kit, but am already thinking about trailers. Is the Trailex trailer really durable enough for a Pocketship as typically loaded for cruising? I find myself a little leery of the bolted connections of the rails and the very light weight of the thing. Is my concern misplaced? I'd be interested to hear what others may have to say about the subject of the Trailex trailer and trailers for the Pocketship in general.
Thanks in advance,
Bob
Bflat

Re: trailer

Postby kilderkin on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:16 pm

I share your concerns - I don't want to put a 1200lb boat on a 1200lb trailer. Also, I don't like the wheel size and the lack of brakes. So, I bought a used bassboat trailer, 2900lb capacity, 15" wheels, overrun brakes, alloy wheels. It's a little long, but it will keep the bowsprit away from the truck, and the outboard will be within the frame of the trailer - no prop sticking out at the back. It's heavy, but I'm not towing with a Miata. Not sure if I'll regret this, but it was only $700. I've repainted the same blue as Kilderkin, rewired, upgraded lights to LED.

Time will tell, Kilderkin is in her final stages, and the weather is great!

SteveW
kilderkin

Postby Pascal on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:55 pm

I think that the only reason CLC suggest the trailex trailer is for the light weight quality that it has. I do have this trailer and love it. I pull my boat with a 2005 CRV Honda without any problem . I have a little problem with free sailing time so I only have few hundred miles on it but I am yet to see any wear and tear signs on it. The price is very high that is the only down side of it in my opinion. Good luck
Pascal

Postby captain charlie on Tue May 07, 2013 7:47 pm

I just picked up my Trailex trailer in Annapolis last week and after 7 days on the road home to Arkansas I didn't have a bit of trouble with it. I had about 200 pounds of sand in bags on the trough so it wouldn't bounce around and it trailed perfectly. The trough for the keel, bearing buddy, and winch and strap are now included, no extra charge. I'm about a couple of months from putting my boat on it. Captain Charlie
captain charlie

Postby Bflat on Wed May 08, 2013 12:59 pm

I don't doubt the trailer's quality. What I'm concerned about is it's stated capacity. It's rated for 1400 lbs. When fully outfitted for sailing others have estimated their boats at around 1500 lbs. That exceeds the trailer's stated capacity. Even if lightened for travel, aside from being inconvenient, that doesn't leave much margin for catastrophe. Prudence dictates that one would want more trailer rather than less.

Believe me, I'd love to just order the Trailex trailer and be done with it; especially after getting a quote on a custom trailer from another company. I am just concerned that it may be just too lightly built for the weight. Perhaps I'm overly cautious.

I appreciate the comments and advice of others.

Thanks,
Bob
Bflat

Postby decurtis on Wed May 15, 2013 4:36 pm

I posted info on my trailer way back when on this thread http://www.pocketship.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53

The EZY-Loader 15-16 is galvanized steel not aluminum but is rated for 2000 lbs and has a much wider wheel base than the Trailex. In the photos on the old post you can see that it had kind of a drop axle that was convenient for installing the keel trough.
decurtis

Return to PocketShip Forum