Bottom Panel/Side Panel Gap

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Bottom Panel/Side Panel Gap

Postby jwv630 on Tue May 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi Everyone:

I've been wrestling the side hull panels onto the bottom hull panels this evening. Finally get them stitched up - but there's quite a gap between the panels towards the bow. The gap runs about 8 inches long and is 3/8" at it's widest. I've tried soaking the panels, used the alignment tool suggested, extra stitches - but can't get the gap to close. After much salty language and pulled out hair I decided to throw it to you guys.

Is it ok to leave as is? If not, may I have your recommendation(s) please.

Also, how in the hell do you get the final 1" of the bottom hull panel at the bow to meet?

Good luck,
Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Re: Bottom Panel/Side Panel Gap

Postby chaertl on Tue May 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi Jimmy,

I resorted to to screwing some 3/4 x1" cleats on either side of the joint and pulling it together with c-clamps. You still need the alignment tool to keep the edges together though.

Chris
chaertl

Postby jwv630 on Wed May 15, 2013 9:40 am

Hi Chris:

Many thanks. Will try it. What do you think of putting some tape on the outside of the joint where the gap is hoping it will support the fillets....?

Jimmy V
jwv630

Postby Dave Archer on Thu May 16, 2013 6:17 am

I resorted to drilling holes through the bow and using a turn buckle attached to cables, dragged the panels together. The war can be won by any means.
Dave Archer

Postby chaertl on Fri May 17, 2013 5:21 am

Hi Jimmy,

If you don't get that gap closed enough to not need tape the hull shape will be off. I tacked the joint then filleted around the alignment tool and put some cloth into the wet fillets to hold eveything until the final glassing could be done. The whole bow section is a good spot for extra cloth. Especially at the pad eye that takes all the stress pulling the boat onto the trailer.

Chris
chaertl

Postby jwv630 on Fri May 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Chris:

Ok, thanks. Good advice. Gonna tackle it tomorrow.

Jimmy V
jwv630

Postby truenorth on Wed May 22, 2013 10:39 pm

Not sure if you've already gotten past this point, but like Chris, I used clamps to pull the panels together. I screwed a small wood block through the hull panel then used the Irwin. One extra thing I did was to be sure to use a longer block so I could turn it and it could then act like an alignment tool, too. So I didn't have issues with multiple blocks or having to unscrew the alignment tool, mucking up the alignment. Depending which panel is sticking out is the block you turn to align the panels. It worked pretty well. The same scheme worked for the bow, which came together nicely with very little tugging. I'll have more photos and an explanation on my blog when I get around to updating it, but here are some photos which I hope help. I removed the blocks and clamps after stitching and it holds.

In the first photo, you can see the original gap which is much smaller in the second photo. Also in the second photo, you can see the screw holes where I moved the blocks forward. I didn't want to have too many in at a time. The third photo is tough to make out, but there is NO block on the port side panel, just the Irwin foot. There's still less than 1/8" separating the panels about 6 inches long but it's even on both sides and will be easy to fillet.

DSC_7429.JPG
First block and clamp.
DSC_7429.JPG (87.81 KiB) Viewed 8376 times

DSC_7435.JPG
Second block and clamp.
DSC_7435.JPG (137.84 KiB) Viewed 8327 times

DSC_7437.JPG
Bow panel block and clamp.
DSC_7437.JPG (105.68 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
truenorth

Postby jwv630 on Thu May 23, 2013 8:48 am

True North:

Hey, thanks for the advice and pics. Gonna try it.

Jimmy V
jwv630

Return to PocketShip Forum