Re-sale value of Pocketship

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re-sale value of Pocketship

Postby decurtis on Mon May 27, 2013 1:43 pm

Sad to say but I will be putting my Pocketship “So True” for sale and would appreciate any input on a realistic selling value. “So True” was the first Pocketship to launch after the prototype and has very few sailing hours on her as a result of a couple of summers of uncooperative weather on Lake Winnipeg and the fact that it turned out we are not very relaxed sailors. We are also moving to Australia in the foreseeable future and we thought it would be better to sell now rather than later. As mentioned “So True” has been on the water only about a half dozen times and is in excellent condition . She has been stored in a portable garage for winter and the sale would include the trailer and 2.5 HP Suzuki 4 stroke outboard (less than 5 hours of use).

I would be happy with recouping the cost of materials ($10-11,000) but I am afraid that could be optimistic. I am considering having a marine survey and appraisal done if that would increase its salability.

As an aside, I have no regrets about my Pocketship building experience and the great sense of accomplishment I received considering it was my first boat building project.

Thanks,
Dave
decurtis

Re: Re-sale value of Pocketship

Postby Pascal on Mon May 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Very sad to see this news. I have spent hours reading your blog. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us Pocketship builders.You did a beautiful job on "So True" it must be difficult for you to come to this conclusion.I am not sure what you could sell her for.
In order to get a better boat insurance I was required to have Naoned survey and appraised. The value came to $25 000.00. If you like I could send you information on that. Good luck to you and thanks again.
Pascal

Postby jwv630 on Tue May 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Hi Dave:

Have enjoyed your blog also. By the way, I think CLC ships to Australia. Maybe time to consider a new build.....

Good luck
Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Postby decurtis on Tue May 28, 2013 4:11 pm

CLC does ship to Australia. Last summer I built a Hybrid Wood Duck 14 kayak for my brother and when we move to Australia my plan is to build a pair of Kahalo stand up paddle boards. I'm kind of working backwards on the size of my projects :D
decurtis

Postby truenorth on Thu May 30, 2013 11:19 pm

Dave, I'd like to see you in a cocktail racer.

Agree with Pascal - difficult to see this as a builder myself. But as they say, all things shall pass.

$25k is about right for a new boat. Geoff Kerr said he would be comfortable pricing PocketShip there. You may be able to get your $10k after all. Another track is to ask the fellow who bought the green and yellow boat how much he paid.

I'll pass the word here. Good luck!
truenorth

Postby JonLee on Fri May 31, 2013 2:45 pm

I bet PocketShip would fit into a standard shipping container. You could take "So True" to Australia with you!

Hey Dave, thanks for sharing you build with us! Your blog was a source of inspiration, knowledge and enjoyment for me in my build, as I'm sure it was/is for all of the PocketShip builders out there.
JonLee

Postby JonLee on Fri May 31, 2013 2:45 pm

I bet PocketShip would fit into a standard shipping container. You could take "So True" to Australia with you!

Hey Dave, thanks for sharing you build with us! Your blog was a source of inspiration, knowledge and enjoyment for me in my build, as I'm sure it was/is for all of the PocketShip builders out there.
JonLee

Postby decurtis on Fri May 31, 2013 3:49 pm

My son in Australia has already tried to convince us to ship "So True" AND it would fit on its trailer in a long container. It would have been an option if it had turned out we were "keen" sailors which we have found out we are not. We spent 5 days in February on a 56 foot sailboat (owned by the parent of our daughter's boyfriend) in the Bay of Islands in New Zealand and I found it much more relaxing being the chef rather than captain although I did take the helm for a couple of hours one day.

I truly appreciate all the kind comments about my blog and Pocketship build.
decurtis

Return to PocketShip Forum