PocketShips in New England?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

PocketShips in New England?

Postby mark48 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Considering a build here in Lebanon, NH, I'm curious if there are any PocketShips built or under construction in VT, NH, or southern Maine?
Thanks in advance.
mark48

Re: PocketShips in New England?

Postby kilderkin on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:16 pm

If MA counts as New England, then there are 2 here. Kilderkin II will be lifted onto her trailer and will exit the garage in the next few days, followed by her initial launch, planned for Lake Quinsigamond (near Worcester). Registered her today - that was fun!

I'm in Marlborough, close to I-495 - if you are down this way, drop by.......

SteveW
kilderkin

Postby jwv630 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:33 am

Steve:

Many congrats and good luck with the launch! Exciting. How about some pictures........

Regards,
Jimmy V
jwv630

Postby mark48 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:39 pm

Greetings (owner of) Kilderkin,

I had asked about PocketShips in NE a couple years ago, thinking of embarking on a build myself. I still am considering it (and attending WB school this summer to learn more of the techniques) but as you can see, I'm moving slowly.

I am still interested in speaking with a builder (and sailing in one if possible) before taking the plunge and ordering the materials. You had kindly replied to my original post in 2013, and I'm wondering if you still have the vessel, are sailing it, and would be open to a visit? And I do consider MA to be part of New England. :-)

Many thanks,
Mark
mark48

Postby aschilpp on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:50 pm

Mark,

While I am not the owner of Kilderkin, I am an owner/builder of a pocketship in New England. I built her from plans in my tiny garage in Medford, MA about 5 years ago. She is now kept in Scituate, MA (where I bought a house to be closer to the water) and sails regularly all over New England and beyond. (She's heading to Lake George, NY this weekend for a 4 day sail) I was about 29 when I started building her, and widely consider it one of the best choices I've made in my life. If you are debating building her, I would encourage you to take the plunge, start by purchasing the plans if need be, go slowly on purchasing materials as I did. But after a few "experiments" in boat building bore fruitful, I went in full bore and never once regretted it. My wallet may have, but I never did.

Cheers!
Adam
aschilpp

Postby aschilpp on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:54 pm

Oh, and if you're in Leb, NH as your post claims, I trailer my pocketship up to the Harpoon Brewery once a year in Windsor, VT as a way-station on my way to Lake Champlain in September since I work for Harpoon and we have a big outing around then...
aschilpp

Postby mark48 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:02 am

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your posts and encouragement. Please do let me know when you're coming to Windsor - I'm a 20 minute drive away and would love to talk with you. (I don't know how to provide my contact info other than posting it here, so advice on that score is welcome also. Otherwise, I'll monitor the PocketShip net.) I'd also travel to Lake Champlain or elsewhere for a brief sailing experience (as crew, if you'd allow it and if our schedules coincided).

All the best,
Mark
mark48

Return to PocketShip Forum