Ropes for Pocketship

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Ropes for Pocketship

Postby Dave Archer on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:53 am

Please can anyone confirm that the list of ropes required, as in the published CLC web site, is correct and that the units specified are in feet? I am about to begin with the rigging of my boat with the launch due on the 17th August. Can't wait.
Dave Archer

Re: Ropes for Pocketship

Postby JonLee on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:12 am

I rigged my PocketShip using that list, assuming that the units were in feet and it worked...

Be sure to post pictures of your boat when she's done!
JonLee

Postby Dave Archer on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:57 am

Thank you. That's reassuring. Will do with the posting on completion
Dave Archer

Postby truenorth on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:58 pm

That's funny you ask because I ran into the same dilemma. I went to the Marine store and the guy goes, "Are you sure that's feet? Or yards?" I was like, "It's feet. It's a 16 foot boat." He thinks for a minute with that Minnesota look. So I called a fellow builder and sure enough... it's a 16' boat. It's feet.

One thing to add is don't worry about the colors so much. Your shop may not have the colors in the thicknesses described. Thickness is more important. And if you do classic metal turnbuckles you don't need the thin red rope, which is used as turnbuckles in PocketShip #1. Looks classy but takes some time.

Agree - hope to see some pics soon.
truenorth

Postby Dave Archer on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:33 am

Thanks to you too.

I'm really getting excited now. I've been collecting the rigging hardware for months now and finally this weekend it all begins to go together. Screws have been the latest focus. All 316 SS, they have been quite pricey. there are just so many of differing sizes and lengths. I have also refurbished an old British Seagull long shaft motor which should look grand on the stern. To mount it I have used a block of plastic cut to a wedge to space the bracket to vertical.. seems to work OK and pretty strong.

I'll get some pictures of my "Precious little" up soon.

Regards

Dave
Dave Archer

Return to PocketShip Forum