Pocketship Insurance

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Pocketship Insurance

Postby kilderkin on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:39 pm

I have completed Kilderkin II, at the same time as we sold our house, and found a new one (Never do this) Despite the delay in launch, I needed insurance to trailer her to her new home, and picked Progressive as convenient (same as my bike). I just received a cancellation notice from them, as, and I quote,

"2013 Chesa Pocketship is either homemade, built from a kit or has a state assigned VIN. These types of vehicles (sic) are not eligible for physical damage coverage"

She is all of the above! As a consequence, my coverage expires on the 27th Sep. Also, I will cancel my bike coverage with them at that time.

Here's the thing - what companies are the Pocketship community using for insurance? There seem to be 20 or so ships out there that are sailing, I presume they are insured, although in a variety of countries. Need advice please for a US insurer.

Thanks

SteveW
Kilderkin II
kilderkin

Re: Pocketship Insurance

Postby mtsailor on Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:19 am

Hi Steve. State Farm's homeowner's policy covers boats under 24'. So, no outside boat insurance required for my PS. Jer, aka mtsailor - building in MT....sixth summer and at the final paint/varnish stage.
mtsailor

Postby kilderkin on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:36 am

Interesting - we need new insurance for the new house - I'll check with them.

Thanks
kilderkin

Postby Pascal on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:17 pm

I insure mine first with my car insurance ( Amica ) but then decided to switch to "boat us marine " only because they also provide towing on or off the water. I am a little paranoid when it come to insurance...
Pascal

Postby captain charlie on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:42 pm

My homeowners insurance with USAA covers the boat and Progressive covers the trailer and motor. captain charlie
captain charlie

Postby truenorth on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:51 am

It's true certain homeowner's policies will provide some coverage, but it would be wise to find out exactly what is covered and what isn't. For example, I don't think a typical homeowner's policy covers personal liability, towing, salvage, and other fun events specific to boating. I don't mean to sound like I'm lecturing as I'm guilty as charged when it comes to understanding insurance, just passing on some experience when I thought I was covered on something and wasn't.

BoatUS and Hagerty's underwrite most of the folks in the Glen-L community. (They are backyard boatbuilders, too.) For kicks, I applied for insurance through BoatUS. When I get the results of that application, I'll share with the forum.
truenorth

Postby truenorth on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:47 pm

I didn't forget this thread. I just heard back from the BoatUS underwriter and I am happy to report that they approved my insurance query for PocketShip. Some of this is contingent upon sailing and building experience, so your quotes and approvals might vary (though I'm sure most folks here are capable sailors and builders). In an earlier thread, I mentioned that while homeowner's policies will cover some of the fun that can happen on a boat, boat insurance would be wise. After hearing what's covered and comparing what isn't, I'd strongly recommend a separate policy.

The quote was $126 per year plus a required $24 BoatUS membership. Highlights of the coverage include $10,000 for the hull & equipment with a $100 deductible and decent liability coverage of $300,000, plus an additional $854,000 coverage for an oil spill. The policy includes wreck recovery, salvage, and towing within a certain radius. Trailer coverage is nominal as is but can be added as part of a BoatUS membership upgrade. All of this is contingent upon a survey / inspection of your PocketShip and limits sailing to coastal waters (within 12nm of shore) in the U.S., Canada, and the Great Lakes. If I wanted to get to the Bahamas, I would not be covered. But the Apostles are. I will definitely be doing this when my PocketShip is done (as I just finished fitting the floorboards for the sole -- onto rounding them off and painting the hull!)

Good luck --
truenorth

Postby afairaizl on Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:49 am

resurrecting this older thread. I had established an insurance policy through Progressive that covered the boat and trailer. The insurance policy was to go into effect July 1, 2022. I just received a cancellation notice that the policy will be cancelled July 15th. The reason given was, "Boats with wooden hulls are not acceptable in our boat program." How has everyone that ended up with insurance listed the boat bull construction material. It's a composite sandwich of wood, fiberglass, and epoxy. Any current suggestions on US based companies that are known to insure a PocketShip without any major hurdles?
Thanks,

Drew - Hampton, NH, USA
PocketShip 'Dreams Won't Wait'
Build Started: Oct 2021
Boat Launched: May 5th, 2023
Build Blog - https://www.dreamswontwait.com
Photo dump = https://photos.app.goo.gl/dS2tViRpgq4YZH8o6
afairaizl

Postby mark48 on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:49 pm

Hi,

Puffin is insured through Geico Marine Insurance from Boat-US. I've had no problems.

Mark
Lebanon, NH
mark48

Postby afairaizl on Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:20 am

Thanks Mark, did you end up listing as wooden boat or fiberglass? Also, did you need a survey or just agree upon value?
Thanks,

Drew - Hampton, NH, USA
PocketShip 'Dreams Won't Wait'
Build Started: Oct 2021
Boat Launched: May 5th, 2023
Build Blog - https://www.dreamswontwait.com
Photo dump = https://photos.app.goo.gl/dS2tViRpgq4YZH8o6
afairaizl

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum