depth finder

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

depth finder

Postby captain charlie on Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:07 pm

I launched my pocketship, yepimadeit, about a month ago and have been really pleased with the way it handles. I've only been in and out of the marina and around the middle of a nearby lake, but am planning on a 3 or 4 day camping/sailing trip in a few weeks. My question is has anyone used or feel they needed a depth finder? I looked at some that attach to the lower transom but am not sure if I want to part with the money if not really needed. Anybody have any ideas? captain charlie
captain charlie

Re: depth finder

Postby Wood_Ogre on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Charlie, doesn't a depth finder on the transom tell you what you just ran over with the bow ? Is there a web site where I can see your pocket ship ?
Wood_Ogre

Postby captain charlie on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Wood_Ogre - I'm not sure exactly how the thing works - maybe its more for finding fish, the transom-mounted one at least.... As for pictures, I'm trying to figure out exactly how to get them on the web site. Any help would be appreciated. captain charlie ( not completely computer savvy yet )
captain charlie

Postby truenorth on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:31 pm

It depends where you sail. If you're in familiar waters and aren't too concerned about depth, well, then you don't need one. PocketShip has a fairly small draft even with the centerboard down, so unless you're in the real shallows, it shouldn't be much of a problem. That said, if you like the added safety/information, plan to sail in various lakes, or want one coupled with a fishfinder/chartplotter, then have at it.

For the record, I'm installing one that was on a pretty good sale at the Marine store. While mine is a transom mount, I know of at least one other builder who put a through-hull transducer on the port side between bulkheads 1 and 2, IIRC. I think they're cool to have. Just know that they will draw power and will be just one more thing that will go wrong down the road.
truenorth

Return to PocketShip Forum