Counterweighted mainmast

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Counterweighted mainmast

Postby I's the B'y on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Since acquiring "So True" from Dave Curtis, I have been practicing at raising the mast single-handed. The problem is that I injured my right shoulder some years ago in an accident and I can't quite get the boost required to get her up to the point where it'll fall into place in the tablernacle without assistance. I am playing with the idea of making an iron or lead boot for the bottom of the mast that will carry the mast forward into the tabernacle without requiring too much motive effort on my part. The boot should push the fulcrum forward as if the mast was "spring-loaded". Anybody have similar problems or tried this on their PocketShip?

Much obliged.
I's the B'y

Re: Counterweighted mainmast

Postby Pascal on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:26 pm

The first few time I did this alone I was very frustrated because on the shoulder pain I had each time.(I do feel for you) My solution was to use the help of the spinnaker halyard ...I since have no pain and I find the experience much easier standing in the companion way. I do not have a spinnaker and need to undo the spinnaker halyard each time but It is worst it. I will try to take picture of this procedure this week end. We are going on a 3 days sailing trip on the Chester river....cannot wait :)
Pascal

Postby jwv630 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:13 am

Hi Pascal:

I'll be crabbin' on the eastern shore near Chestertown this weekend. Will you and your Naomed be docked in Rock Hall? (remember you were there last year). Would love to stop by and see her; introduce myself; perhaps drag my Skerry along. Watch the weather for Saturday as it's calling for rain....

Best wishes,
Jimmy Vitale
jwv630

Postby I's the B'y on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:51 am

Than you Pascal, much appreciated. I will watch for your post.
I's the B'y

Postby captain charlie on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:37 pm

I also use the spinaker halyard to help pull up the mainmast - I keep one hand on the mast and the other keeping the halyard taut as I push up. I leave the spinaker halyard up when sailing as sort of insurance against the jib halyard coming loose or failing. I've also found that a wooden stool to stand on in the cabin gives me just the right amount of height to get the mast all the way up. Captain Charlie
captain charlie

Postby truenorth on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:36 pm

Another option, which is fairly common on larger boats, is to use the trailer winch to hoist the mast. Add a shackle to the mast that can tolerate the force, hook that to the trailer winch while the boat is on the trailer, and you should be able to hoist the mast. It's very similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgBV7Dp2RGE

I plan to add such a system to my PocketShip.
truenorth

Postby decurtis on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Sorry I cannot offer a solution since my solution was always to have my "first mate" with me who could pull on the spinnaker halyard from in front of the bow while I started lifting the mast from the cockpit. I was pleased to hear that your sail, and launching and trailering at Thunder Bay on the way home with So True went smoothly .
decurtis

Postby John C. Harris on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:13 pm

>>> I am playing with the idea of making an iron or lead boot for the bottom of the mast

I would discourage this. That's adding weight very high up, where it will have a noticeably detrimental affect on stability.

Tabernacle masts with ballasted counterweights are found in big, heavy working-sail types that have loads (literally) of stability to spare. Phil Bolger toyed with them, but only in big boats.

I would recommend looking into a "gin pole" scheme to make the first 45 degrees of hoist easier. These can be done very cleanly, and take only moments to deploy.

This came up immediately when I searched on the term:

John C. Harris

Postby I's the B'y on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks form chiming in John and for the heads-up. The gin pole sounds like a great idea.
I's the B'y

Return to PocketShip Forum