Getting ready to start a new build.

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Getting ready to start a new build.

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:50 pm

I have ordered the kit and hope to get started in the next few weeks. I have some experience under my belt, having built a 17 LT and a Skerry, but I'm sure taking on a project of this magnitude will be an entirely different experience. I plan to retire soon (probably Jan 1), so I'll have more time to devote to it after that.

Anyway, expect to be getting a deluge of questions and requests for advice.
DanaDCole

Re: Getting ready to start a new build.

Postby captain charlie on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:10 pm

hey Dana, I live in Little Rock and if you would like to come over for a look-see and sail, let me know at [email protected] captain charlie
captain charlie

Postby decurtis on Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:49 am

I am positive you will enjoy your Pocketship building experience. My Pocketship build was my first ever boat building project and the excellent manual guided me through every step (and occasional misstep). With your previous expertise your new build should be a thoroughly enjoyable and rewarding experience .
decurtis

Postby Pastorjim on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:39 pm

Hey Dana,
I should be starting about the same time. I just got the confirmation today that my Pocketship kit should be ready around November 5th. I can't wait to get started!
Pastorjim

Postby truenorth on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 am

Congratulations. I'm about 1/3 of the way through, with the hardest* parts behind me. Couple bits of advice.. work on the boat even a little bit every day, no matter how small. Two, don't sweat the small stuff. Perfection is the enemy of completion. Three, be sure to deal with epoxy when it's still wet. Alternatively, buy a lot of sandpaper.

* hardest parts are generally considered to be sanding the interior after 'glassing and fitting the sole.
truenorth

Postby Bflat on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:50 am

I'm deep into my build. I'm currently about half way through glassing the interior. I got so sick of doing the filleting that I was actually looking forward to sanding (imagine that). I agree with Truenorth about working every day (or nearly so). Steady progress adds up.

It is a fun and gratifying experience.

Bob
Bflat

Return to PocketShip Forum