wire route to transom

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: wire route to transom

Postby hood on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:00 pm

I used screws, leaving a longer cable for possible repair but I hope that it does not need
hood

Postby Bflat on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Not to "beat a dead horse" but, all marine wiring manuals advise against running wires through the bilge (pumps excepted, of course). In fact, they advise that wires be run as high in a cabin as practical. Personally, I'm fine with running wires in the bilge inside Pocketship's cabin (as per design) since keeping that dry will be relatively easy. The potential problem, as I see it, with running wires through bulkhead 8 under the floor boards is that they then enter the lazarette compartment at its lowest point. Even a cup of water will seek that spot. Lazarettes commonly store wet items; things like fenders, dock lines, sail covers, an extra anchor, maybe a small can of gas or oil. Other than the outside of the hull it's difficult to imagine a wetter spot on the boat. It's rare that such a locker is without a little water sloshing around its bottom.

Neat wiring from the under the floor boards and up the forward face of bulkhead 8 will hardly be visible, I think. How often will eyes fall on the low, dark recesses of a quarter berth. Only feet will see it.

For what it's worth,
Bob
Bflat

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Agreed. I'm not that concerned with the wires themselves getting wet as long as the insulation stays intact, but you certainly would not want any connections down that low. Certainly there would be corrosion, and I suppose there could be a fire hazard from a short, although water is actually a very poor conductor.

Anyway, if I do decice to run any wiring thru B8 it will definitely be as high as possible.

As to a bilge pump, I don't know enough yet about the construction of the boat to know how I would get at it for cleaning or repairs. I will probably wait to see if there is a problem with water getting in, and if there is figure something out then.
DanaDCole

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum