alternative to gallows

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: alternative to gallows

Postby Dave Archer on Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:55 am

I decided not to build the gallows and instead opted to construct my own design of a stainless steel stand which is easily removed by pulling out two clips held in by bungee cord and lifting it out. It takes about 20 seconds to fit or remove. Here are some pictures

There is a small plate with a pin screwed to the floor for the post to locate on.

Stabilizing brackets attach to pins on metal angle brackets screwed into the transom. Not too bad looking when the post is removed. You can also see the bungy cord and clips which attach the brackets to the fixed pins.

At the top I made a stainless V shape and used some creative knot tying to form a soft cradle.

The Stainless pole looks quite elegant and is very strong. I have just completed a 1000 km round trip with no problems with my design. My wife helped me with some sewing to make the cover for the mast and sails etc. We also made a cover to keep rain out of the not so watertight hatch doors when driving or parked.

I included a hook on the post that secures the tiller during road travel

Another view of the soft cradle at the top.

My main motivation to build this was that I intend to use the boat for occasional fishing outings and so thought that the gallows as designed would get in the way.

Well it works for me.
Dave Archer

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks Dave. Looks good, and definitely something to think about.
DanaDCole

Postby John C. Harris on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:39 am

I would endorse deleting the gallows---it's extra weight up high, where it does the most harm, and the windage is not negligible.

In its defense, it's just great to have it there to catch the boom any time you loose the halyard. I find myself using it constantly as a hand-rail when standing up in the cockpit. And of course, I'll eventually get around to creating a cockpit tent enclosure with the gallows as the aft support.

But the criticisms are real. I was going to describe how to replace the gallows with a boom crutch, and then saw Dave Archer's post. THAT is a terrific way to do it. My Montgomery 15 had a similar stainless crutch.

You can get to the same place with a simple "scissors action" wooden boom crutch like this one. Easy to build, works great, can stow below:

Just fit the boom with a topping lift so it doesn't drop in the cockpit when you let go the halyards.
John C. Harris

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Looks like the scissors lift is a good way to go. I like Dave Archer's crutch also, but you have to attach and detach it. The scissors lift looks to me like you just close it and put it away. Glad somebody finally agrees with my idea of a topping lift. One thing about the lazy jacks, though, is that they perform about the same function as the topping lift while also helping to flake the sail and keep it out of the way. Decisions, decisions!
DanaDCole

Postby craig on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:45 pm

I have tentatively decided to skip construction of the boom gallows for my Pocketship. I would like to try using a topping lift arrangement and some boom crutches like John and Dave showed. Retrofitting gallows later will be very simple if I decide it will be much more convenient for trailering, rigging, etc.

My question: I've never rigged a topping lift on a gaff-rigged boat. My only experience with a "topping lift" is tying the sail off to the backstay. How would I rig one for Pocketship? I can't see running a line from the end of the boom to the mast top because the gaff would get in the way (bump into it) on one tack (depending on which side of the gaff you run the line). In that case, would I just put a bunch of slack in the line when not in use?
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby Shudoman on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:09 am

You could simply use a snap hook on the boom end of the topping lift and clip it to some location on the mast (there's plenty of places) when sailing. Just remember to reattach it before you drop the main sail!!!
Shudoman

Postby craig on Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:47 am

Ah, that's a good point: it can be removable! I might have over-thought this one... haha
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum