grinder

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

grinder

Postby DanaDCole on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:49 pm

CLC recommends an 8-inch grinder for much of the work. My only experience with a grinder is working on metal (and not much of that). They use a Makita. Whatever brand I purchase, I don't know what pad to get for it. Can't find much of anything on the internet.
DanaDCole

Re: grinder

Postby truenorth on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:46 pm

I'd accumulated a lot of shop tools over the years, but not a large grinder. I asked someone who finished a PocketShip near me and he said it wasn't necessary. So far, he's right. A good random orbital sander (ROS) with 60 grit can slough off a lot really fast. I've used mine to smooth out lead and grind down hardened epoxy. You'll might want a small angle grinder for minor metal work like trimming back bolts, but not a big grinder. For me, the indispensable tools are the ROS, jigsaw, drill, table saw, and miter/chop saw. You may not need to own these if you can borrow them, but I use at least 2-3 of these every time I'm in the shop. Random, smaller essentials (for me) would include powered scissors, a couple hand planes, wire crimper/cutter, needle nose pliers, easyout, and a 90 degree drill head. Tools I'd put in the really nice to have category are the band saw, drill press, router (you can roundover with a ROS), and brad nailer. That said, if your budget allows, it certainly can't hurt!
truenorth

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:09 am

TrueNorth,

Thanks, you have been a great resource and I very much appreciate your help. I have pretty much everything you talk about in your post (after building a 17LT and Skerry) except the bandsaw. I've been sort of salivating about one, except for the space it will take up in my garage. A pretty good new one is not all that expensive, but many times if you can find an older one built by a good company (and well-maintained) it may be better quality than a new one. So I've been looking around on Craig's List--found some pretty good bargains but so far I'll have to drive a hundred miles or so.

Thanks for the info about the grinder. My feeling is those things can get away from you (like a hand-held belt sander) and before you know it you've taken off too much. So I think the random orbital with 6o grit makes more sense.

One item I don't have and will probably purchase is a stationary sander (belt & disk) and I think I'll be all set.

Dana
DanaDCole

Postby truenorth on Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:02 pm

Glad to help. I wish I knew about the graphite+epoxy before sealing up my centerboard trunk forever. That would've been nice.

As for the band saw, I wound up with a 10" Craftsman band saw I got for a song. I upgraded the blade and it's been a really good tool ever since. But the greatest use I get out of it is making fillet sticks. I also used it to cut my tiller and gallows blanks and nose block. I'll likely use it more when I do trim work. So, it's borderline essential but still a luxury as a good jigsaw (and a steady hand) can do the same.

I looked at stationery sanders. Instead, I have a 2nd random orbital I got for buying a biscuit jointer (I do some furniture repair) that I attach to a bench vise. That or the belt sander fastened similarly works just as well IMO.

I know, it's hard to say no to more shop tools!! But at some point, the wallet starts barking and I gotta listen.
truenorth

Return to PocketShip Forum