Stability of Bulkhead 8?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Stability of Bulkhead 8?

Postby truenorth on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:31 pm

I've found a really great place to mount some cabin speakers: bulkhead 8. Here, they'll look and sound great, the wires will run in the laz and through the conduit under the sole (so out of sight), and can even provide some volume for the cockpit. The holes are 4 1/2" each.

In addition, as I've mentioned in a prior post, I'd like to install 6" deck plates on both sides, too, for access to the laz area. With these changes, I'll be removing perhaps 25% of the total area of bulkhead 8. It should remain watertight with careful sealing, which is the broader reason for being this here, but is there any other reason (such as structural?) that this is a bad idea?

/Larry
truenorth

Re: Stability of Bulkhead 8?

Postby truenorth on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:58 am

Given the lack of responses, the idea was:

1) So awesome people are still in a state of shock.
2) So bad no one wants to tell me I'm about to commit suicide.
3) So-so and no one cares.

I'm gonna go ahead and install the speakers here with the deck plates (albeit slightly smaller ones). If I sink, I'll have great pictures to share.
truenorth

Postby Bflat on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Hi Truenorth,

It would seem to me that ports in Bulkhead 8 would be impractical. I'd think that most of the items in the lazarette would be things one wouldn't want or need in the cabin; things like fuel, fenders, lines (wet, smelly things). The ports would be too small to really of much use, especially while crawling awkwardly in the tight foot of the berth. It may aid in "airing out" as you mentioned, but I'd rather just open the lazerettes via the cockpit hatches for that and keep those smells out of the cabin. That's my two cents, anyway.

Bob
Bflat

Postby John C. Harris on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:18 am

Are you proposing to flush-mount speakers in Bulkhead 8? I don't see how that can be made reliably watertight.

The cursed lazarette hatches on PocketShip #1 leak persistently in the rain. Since the boat lives outdoors, I've had the lazarette fill nearly to the top with rainwater once or twice in a Chesapeake monsoon. Very annoying, but the point is that I think Bulkhead 8 should be inviolably watertight.

I am an audiophile. I'm nearly always listening to music when aboard PocketShip. With four KLH speakers below, the sound on deck is good (and deafening below, if desired). My aft speakers are mounted on Bulkhead 7. See this thread for photos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95&p=674#p232

In my boat, there's always a certain amount of dunnage shoved back against Bulkhead 8 on the interior, which might obstruct the sound from speakers there. For the same reason, I can't think of any reason to create access to the lazarette all the way back there.
John C. Harris

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:46 pm

Well I'm glad I don't have to worry about speakers, etc. One of the main pleasures of sailing for me is the peacefulness (in good weather that is) and getting away from noise of all kinds. I don't consider the sound of wind and waves noise (still can't get away from the noise and stench of power boats and jet skis though). So no stereos, no cell phones, or any of that for me, just a VHF radio for emergencies and to check the weather. Does anyone agree, or am I just too much of a luddite?
DanaDCole

Postby truenorth on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:10 am

I guess in the literal reading of below, there isn't much of a structural issue in carving out circles. Just questionable motivation :D

I can make the speakers watertight by building out a small speaker box that juts into the laz (it's actually right below where the side lockers would be) with one side of it against the hull. I've been on PS#1 and was impressed with the sound. And it is a good point about dunnage blocking the speaker. The issue (for me) with where the KLH speakers are is I can envision a scenario where I jam something aft and break the speakers off! So that's how the bulkhead mount idea came to be.

The deck plates, I know, have questionable value. Maybe most days, it won't matter. But I know me - the day I'm huddled in the cabin, waiting out a storm, and want something out of the laz, is the day I'll regret not putting in the deck plates. They're easy and cheap to install. If PS#1 has any drawbacks, and this is true of any smaller boat, it lacks "away" cabin storage. Stuff gets stored out and about or in duffel bags in view. So having access to the laz, at least mentally for me, opens up some cabin storage possibilities.

Dana: I vote luddite :lol: There are times when the sound of the wind and waves is all you need, and there are times when you wanna rock. Plus with people on board, expectations of what it means to be sailing changes, too. Now, I'm not one to cater to passengers, but music is a reasonable request. So is wine. I can't imagine not having a radio; then again all you really need is a smart phone and Pandora.
truenorth

Return to PocketShip Forum