lazarettes that necessary?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

lazarettes that necessary?

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:38 pm

I'm thinking of foregoing the lazarettes. I've heard about too many problems with the hatches leaking. Is there any reason this is a bad idea besides loss of storage space?

What about mounting the hatches down on the sides instead of on the top? They'd be a bit harder to get at, but might not leak nearly as much. You could even put a small lip above them to shed the rain.
DanaDCole

Re: lazarettes that necessary?

Postby Pascal on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Would be hard without that storage. Mine never did leak. I was convince it would when we had that full night of heavy rain but nothing came in.The trick I think is to make sure that the seal is install the right way. :)
Pascal

Postby John C. Harris on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:05 pm

I cannot imagine PocketShip without the lazarette storage, leaky hatches and all. The guy who re-installed my lazarette hatches after the boat was sprayed at the body shop didn't scuff up the mating surfaces, so the bedding compound didn't adhere well to the hyper-glossy surface. Easy to fix.
John C. Harris

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Well jeez, John, I was inspired to write this post by your reply to Truenorth's post about Bulkhead 8! :D Maybe the lazarettes are leaking badly on PocketShip #1 and not on #2?

Anyway, when I took a ride on Captain Charlie's boat he said he didn't have any problems. I think he said he sealed the outer flanges with something like plumber's putty. I guess that would work but I don't know why silicon seal would not work as well or better. (Cap'n Charlie can correct me if I'm wrong about the sealer he used.) Pascal says to make sure the seal is installed the right way, but I don't know whether he is talking about the flange-to-deck seal or the door-to-flange seal.

The bottom line is it looks like people are making this work, so I'm going to stop worrying about it. I may actually break down and read the directions this time. :)

Sorry about all the smiley's, but I think they are helpful when you can't hear a person's tone of voice ("suprasegmental phonemes" as my old English prof used to say).
DanaDCole

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:40 pm

John, sorry I didn't read your post more carefully the first time. I think you are saying that there could be reasons for the lazarettes to leak if something is not done properly, but if done right there shouldn't be a problem. So the reason for not compromising the integrity of bulkhead 8 is that there is the potential for water getting to it for whatever reason. Am I right?

My apologies.
DanaDCole

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:26 pm

I'm relatively sure I can get the covers installed such that they won't leak, or at least not all that much. In case of a small leak, wouldn't it be a good idea to add some drain holes, either to the outside of the hull or into the cockpit?
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum