PocketShip Tattoo FOR SALE . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

PocketShip Tattoo FOR SALE . .

Postby tattoo on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:56 am

Fellow PocketShip aficionados -- After 3 great years sailing and cruising my precious Tattoo, she's now for sale. Maybe a non-builder would be interested. Later, I'll place ads with Craig's List and Sailboat Listings. Peruse my "tattoo" posting (on this forum) for more specifics regarding this boat.

15’ Chesapeake Light Craft PocketShip FOR SALE – Gaff-rigged sloop “trailer sailor” for $14,900 including aluminum trailer, 6 hp Tohatsu Sail/Pro motor, and alternate “yawl” sailing rig – fully outfitted for cruising. Equipment includes: cockpit and bunk cushions, canopy for deployment over boom, all required safety equipment, battery, navigation lights, lighted compass, cabin fan & lights, AM/FM Stereo w/Weather Alert, Rocna anchor & rode, lazy jacks, boathook, dock fenders & mooring lines, sail covers, cockpit & foredeck covers (for onshore storage), and more. The roller furling jib, mainsails (2, for the separate sloop & yawl rigs), and mizzen sail are of Oceanus Dacron (a cream-colored Dacron that closely resembles Egyptian cotton). The asymmetric spinnaker is a bicolored (white/yellow/white) lightweight fabric. Cabin is equipped with a Port-a-Potti, 2.5 gallon water source, and deployable propane galley stove for use in cockpit. Designed by John Harris for plywood/fiberglass “stitch & glue” construction. Constructed by experienced boat builder from a Chesapeake Light Craft kit. Maiden voyage October 2010. LOD 14’ 10”, beam 6’ 3”, draft 16”/36”, weight 1,500 lbs with 344 lbs ballast & camping equipment. Sleeps an adult & youngster (in canopy-enclosed cockpit) and a 2nd adult in the cabin. Many photos available by email request. Boat is located in Manassas, Virginia, and is available for inspection and/or demo sail on the Potomac River. Contact Pete McCrary: 703/369-6100 or email: “[email protected]” More information regarding her design and sailing qualities is available on the Chesapeake Light Craft web site: http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wood ... r-kit.html

Maiden Voyage, 10-22-2010.JPG
Maiden Voyage, 10-22-2010.JPG (107.12 KiB) Viewed 19531 times

Tattoo with CLC's PocketShip prototype.JPG
Tattoo with CLC's PocketShip prototype.JPG (90.28 KiB) Viewed 19323 times

Yawl Sea Trials, August 2013.jpg
Yawl Sea Trials, August 2013.jpg (39.2 KiB) Viewed 19149 times
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Re: PocketShip Tattoo FOR SALE . .

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Sorry to see you are selling your boat--don't know why exactly, I guess it's just that if I built something like that I'd want it to be a family heirloom. In fact, if I build one half as nice I don't think I'd want to sell it. I almost hope you can't sell it on the forum because I think you are way underpricing it and could get a lot more in the broader market. But at the same time I'd love to see one of the great forum members have it.
DanaDCole

Postby tattoo on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Probably lots of little reasons. Since 1963 I've made 8 boats and lots of other things. Of the 8 boats I still have 6 of them. The family considers all 6 as heirlooms and 3 are "on loan" to 2 of my sons and a grandson. The other 3 are in my garages and on my driveway. The 2 that I don't have [anymore] are an iceboat (sorely missed but of no use in Virginia) and a sweet 11' 1" sailing dinghy (my 1st boat) that I sold twice! Once, when I was temporally transferred (I worked in aerospace then), and then later (I had bought her back), when I moved to Virginia from Massachusetts in 1977. Now I have an urge to "mess around" in another boat -- but don't have space for it. And none of my family (4 grown children -- 11 grandchildren -- 3 great grandchildren) can take on the loving care and use of any of the 3 sailboats that remain on the premises. So, for the space and to help finance my desire to "mess around" with another boat project -- something has to go. I really enjoyed the mental therapy and physical challenge of making, improving, and sailing PocketShip Tattoo -- and I'm sure the effort has actually extended my life. But after 16 months of construction, and sailing her for 3 seasons, it's time to make room and move on. I hope that a person who really loves boats buys her.
tattoo

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:15 am

Wow! Great story. I've often wished I had started this whole thing at least 20 or 30 years ago--not waited until I was in my 70's to even start sailing. I built a 17LT about 8 or 20 years ago, but the Skerry I built a couple years back has been a revalation. Like you, I know I'm extending my life by building boats (and other projects). One of the greatest pleasures is in building the boat, but all the same I'll be really glad to get her on the water.

Let this be a lesson to you youngsters who are still procrastinating! :)
DanaDCole

Postby jwv630 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Jeez Pete.....shocked and sorry to see you moving on - but happy about your new build. I've learned a lot from you; and have been inspired by you to push on when frustrated with my own PS build. Thanks. Good luck and best wishes,

Jimmy Vitale
Baltimore, MD
jwv630

Postby Pascal on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:08 pm

Feels like I missed the opportunity to sail with you.One day in Rockhall that is all.....very sad. At the same time I am very curious to know what type of boat you had your eyes on.
Thank you for all the tips you left on this blog...learned a lot.Happy sailing.
Pascal

Postby tattoo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:08 am

Hello Pascal,
Yes, we missed sailing together last season. But I think we'll meet up again on Chesapeake waters. Although I'll be "messing around" in boats -- I won't be building a new one. So that I may have room to cruise with a grandchild or two I've purchased a 2006 Com-Pac Eclipse. It's a 21' sloop "trailer sailor" with bunks for 4. She's ready to sail but her trailer needs replacing. I'll probably see you (at least) at the Small Craft festival. Let's stay in touch.

By the way -- Tattoo is ready for a demo sail anytime. If you know someone interested, let them know my number (703.369.6100).
tattoo

Postby Pascal on Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Thank you for the update Pete. Great idea with your new boat. I hope that you will find a new owner
for your beautiful Tattoo. We should definitely keep in touch and hopefully next boating season we can meet on the water again. Happy holiday to you and your family.
Pascal

Postby DanaDCole on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:37 am

. . . and whatever you do, don't delete your old posts with all the great ideas!
DanaDCole

Postby Wood_Ogre on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:19 pm

Pete said to hear you are selling Tattoo. I have had my plans for a long time and am scheduled to start building on May 27, 2014. I am very interested in your yawl rig as it is better suited for the kind of sailing I do here in Hawaii. Would like to hear any thoughts you might have on building the rig if you were starting from scratch. Also any modification you might make to the hull to make it stronger or better. Is it possible to move the mizzen mast closer to the center of the transom so that it is stepped in the foot well ( without interfering with the tiller ) ? Also do you see any alternatives or options for mounting the boom kin ? Did you have your new sails made through CLC ( do they have the specks )? I want to order my sails through CLC. I will be using a small Honda long shaft as my launch sight has a very small dog leg channel dead to windward so I need to take that into account when doing the yawl rig. Wind here can be expected normally to be 15 to 25 knots. So how does the yawl rig work in these conditions ? Would like to see a couple more pictures of Pocket ships yawl rig under sail. Would also like to hear any impute from John on this subject , like would CLC make the yawl sails available too me? Thank you Pete and John for any input.
Wood_Ogre

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum