PocketShip Tattoo FOR SALE . .

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: PocketShip Tattoo FOR SALE . .

Postby Donm1753 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:23 pm

Pete,
Before you let Tatoo get away from you, I would appreciate it if you could post a sketch of your outboard cutout and its location on the transom. Many thanks for all of the enhancements to Pocketship you have shared. You have been a true inspiration to me and I am sure, many other Pocketship builders and owners.

Donm
Donm1753

Postby tattoo on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:24 pm

Donm1753 asked about the transom cutout on Tattoo. It's located on the port side at a height (along the slope of the transom) of 7.5" above the cockpit deck. The opening at the top is 14.5". I installed a 3/4" x 6.5" hardwood "doubler" from port to starboard with its bottom edge at the level of the cockpit deck. I also fabricated a "pressure plate" to protect the "soft" transom plywood from the engine mounting brackets. It was fabricated by laminating two pieces of 1/4" maple with grain running perpendicular to each other. It is "indexed" to the transom with two 1/2" dowels that protrude into the transom just about 1/4". This is to keep the pressure plate from moving because of the engine vibration. The dowels are not glued into the transom -- the pressure is plate held in place by the engine mounting brackets.

Transom cutout v2.jpg
The RED markings indicate the cutout as it now exists. Note that the skeg is just below the rudder wing and the prop just misses it. The Tohatsu Sail Pro is an extra "long shaft" engine.
Transom cutout v2.jpg (72.89 KiB) Viewed 9480 times

Originally, I made the cutout down to a height of 6.5" about the cockpit deck. I discovered that this was too low -- the engine's drive shaft was so low that the prop would occasionally clip the rudder wing when the tiller was moved to starboard. The solution was to add back in the bottom 1" of the cutout (which I have saved). That raised the engine just so that its skeg just touches the rudder wing at the end of a move of the helm to starboard but the prop is above it.

DSCF2097.JPG
My first cutout was just 6" above the cockpit deck. Notice the 3/4" doubler that runs from port to starboard. When the bottom 1" of the cutout was put back in I had to add 1" to the doubler just under the cutout. Notice that I saved the coutout and used its bottom 1" to fit exactly back onto the transom. You can't see it in the photo, but on the starboard side of the tiller I installed a "sliding" wedge which could be moved aft on the tiller into the transom opening so that it prevented extreme movement of the tiller to starboard. The wedge (of just the right thickness) prevents the engine skeg and prop from clipping any part of the rudder. When not motoring -- the wedge is simply moved forward.
DSCF2097.JPG (82.3 KiB) Viewed 9457 times

DSCF2085.JPG
Aft view of the cutout with engine mounted. This was the original configuration -- and you can see how low the engine is relative to the rudder wing. Notice also the maple 1/2" pressure pad under the engine brackets. The thickness of the "clamped" structure is 3/4" doubler (ash) + 3/4" transom + 1/2" pressure pad (maple) for a total of 2". That's just under to maximum gap of the Tohatsu engine bracket clamps.
DSCF2085.JPG (111.88 KiB) Viewed 9461 times

I like the transom mounted engine for several reasons. The engine is forward and easier to reach which moves the boat c.g. forward. There is no heavy and ugly engine bracket to deal with. The engine is located such that it can be linked to the tiller (see one of my earlier posts). Every engine bracket that I saw on the market (in 2010) was not rated for 4-cycle engines under 25 hp (much more vibration because for every power stroke, the next stroke is a push in the opposite direction -- compression -- from the power stroke). And, if I want to give up on axillary power altogether, I've saved the cutout and could restore the transom to its original beauty (almost).

Concerning the FOR SALE of Tattoo -- I've had a couple of inquiries but so far no real action. Advertisement are purchased for the February/March issues of WoodenBoat Magazine and the Small Craft Advisor. I've also placed ads for the sale of my (extra) dinghy, a 7' 7" Nutshell Pram designed by Joel White (from a kit produced by CLC).

Pete McCrary
Builder and skipper of Tattoo
Pete McCrary, launched Tattoo Oct '10.
tattoo

Postby Caviar on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 am

DanaDCole wrote:Wow! Great story. I've often wished I had started this whole thing at least 20 or 30 years ago--not waited until I was in my 70's to even start sailing. I built a 17LT about 8 or 20 years ago, but the Skerry I built a couple years back has been a revalation. Like you, I know I'm extending my life by building boats (and other projects). One of the greatest pleasures is in building the boat, but all the same I'll be really glad to get her on the water.

Let this be a lesson to you youngsters who are still procrastinating! :)

"Youth is wasted on the young." - George Bernard Shaw
Caviar

Postby Wood_Ogre on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:32 pm

Tatoo- Pete , I was wondering if you got my E mail. I sent it I think. Anyway, I am interested in building my pocket ship as a yawl. If your sails become available let me know if not I would be interested in buying the yawl sails through John at CLC. I have plenty of time as I wont start building until late May. Thanks, Mark aka Wood_Ogre.
Wood_Ogre

Reply to Wood_Ogre re yawl rig . .

Postby tattoo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:56 pm

Wood_Ogre: I don't think you sent me an email -- but rather you raised questions re the yawl rig on a posting on Dec 28 and I responded the next day with an "private" email thru the forum. It could be in your in-box. But if it isn't, this is what it said:

Hello W_O,...
I, too, like the yawl rig. Better even that PocketShip as designed. I got the sails from Douglas Fowler, the same sailmaker used by CLC. He was hesitant at first. But I suggested that he ask John Harris about it -- and with John's ok, he dealt directly with me. I'd consider selling the sails to you for what I paid for them. I've only used them on three outings. That's why I have so few photos while under way as a yawl. If you have just started building recently, then it will be a while before you need them. But work something out in advance with CLC regarding the jib sail -- because they ordinarily only sell the jib with their [designed] mains'l. Maybe you could get the jib sail (without the regular mains'l) from Fowler by special arrangement. I'm trying to sell my PocketShip with both rigs and have advertisements coming up in the next issues in February (March/April) of WoodenBoat Magazine and Small Craft Advisor. If there is no interest in the yawl rig, then I'd definitely want to sell them to you.

My opinion is that the yawl rig is actually a much better rig for PocketShip. The mains'l is slightly smaller and easier to handle for this 80 year-old solo sailor. And the mizzen (sprit boom) is so simple and useful. She easily does 3 to 4 knots with just mizzen and jib. The balance is such that she can be steered just with the mizzen sheet -- hands off the tiller. And she can be made to "heave to". Maybe she isn't as fast as the sloop -- but almost.

If you will email me your email address -- I'll send you my design sketches and construction photos of my set up. I made the mizzen mast out of Southern White Pine. It weighs only 5.5 lbs.

Incidentally, back in 1969 - 1972 we lived on Maui. I was the Site Manager of ARPA's 60" optical telescope at the top of Mount Haheakula. Our home was on Kimo Drive in Kula at about the 2,800 foot elevation. A lovely spot -- but too far from the water. A neighbor friend went sailing alone in the local waters and was "missing" for more than a day in stormy weather! We and his wife thought he was "lost at sea." But when the storm cleared out he was found ok.

Mizzen & step & partner & boomkin.jpg
This just about shows the entire set-up for the mizzen mast, etc.
Mizzen & step & partner & boomkin.jpg (136.67 KiB) Viewed 9371 times

Tattoo's yawl rig.jpg
The conversion to a yawl required a slightly small mains'l with accompanying gaff & boom. I've kept the originals so that I can alternate rigs if I want to.
Tattoo's yawl rig.jpg (69.46 KiB) Viewed 9428 times

Pete McCrary
[email protected]
703/369-6100
703/369-2962 fax
tattoo

Re: PocketShip Tattoo REDUCED PRICE . .

Postby tattoo on Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:44 pm

Fellow builders and forum visitors,
My FOR SALE ad in the next WoodenBoat Magazine (May/June) will show a PRICE REDUCTION down to $13,400.
Pete McCrary
Tattoo's builder
tattoo

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:32 am

I hate to see you having to keep lowering the price on such a beautiful boat. I guess you're not getting any takers on this forum because we don't want to miss the fun of building, even though we will end up spending $13,400 or more by the time we're done. Have you thought about advertising in Small Craft Advisor? Maybe even Sailing also, although that is mostly read by the "bluebloods."
DanaDCole

Re: PocketShip Tattoo FOR SALE -- now only $9,900 . .

Postby tattoo on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:11 pm

Fellow builders: It's almost been two years since I first listed Tattoo FOR SALE at $14,900. There have been a few nibbles, but not much action. I've been sailing her occasionally -- but haven't been trying too hard to sell her. But now, I'm building a Core Sound 20 Mark 3 -- a 20 foot cat ketch. So, to generate some greater interest, I've reduced the price down to $9,900. Maybe persons interested in building a PocketShip might want to consider buying one already built at a price that is much less than the total of materials, trailer, motor, etc -- without even considering the tender-loving-care labor provided by the original builder. Many details of her construction may be found by reviewing [the builder's] posts. Check out the posting of member "tattoo." Those interested could also check out CLC Builders' Forum section "Used-Boats-For-Sale" at http://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/ ... ord%28s%29 Call or email Pete McCrary at [email protected] or 703/369-6100.
tattoo

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum