idiot in need of advice

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

idiot in need of advice

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:27 pm

I guess building a square box mast is way too complicated for me. :) First I forgot that the rear surface of the mast is not tapered and ruined one of the staves. Now, when cutting the rabbets, I measured from the fence to the inside of the saw blade instead of the outside! Since I am using a carbide blade, the rabbets on one stave are each about 1/8 inch too wide. Duh!

I realized my mistake after making the first two 3/4" cuts, so the 3/8" dimensions on both staves and the 3/4" dimensions on one of the staves are all OK. My thinking is that I can glue the front and back staves to the side stave with the too-wide rabbet, then come back and fill the gap with thickened epoxy and not lose that much strength. I'll have to make sure it is flat at each end to accommodate the filler wood. (The manual shows gluing the two side staves to the back stave first, but I don't think it would make much difference to do it the other way.)

Does this seem feasible? If so should I use silica filler or wood flour thickener, or some combination?

It seems to me that, since the mast is stayed in three directions there is not that much side force on it (as long I keep the stays reasonably tight--just read the post about the forces on the mast actually cracking a tabernacle when the stays were a little too slack).

Please advise.
DanaDCole

Re: idiot in need of advice

Postby truenorth on Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:25 pm

I'd redo it and not epoxy the filler. Epoxy can do many things, but even epoxy has its limits.You can recycle the boards as stringers and cleats. I also don't recommend starting with the mast. The bowsprit, rudder, or centerboard trunk/centerboard are best.

I've been following along your posts for awhile and appreciate the eagerness. I think though that you've gotten ahead of yourself and are overthinking. Trust the manual, take your time, and enjoy the journey!
truenorth

Re: idiot in need of advice

Postby DanaDCole on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:08 am

Thanks--I think. :)

The truth is, I was working on the spars while waiting for the kit to arrive. I have the bowsprit, boom, and yard pretty well roughed out, and now that the kit is here have put them in storage, along with the mast staves. So I probably have at least a couple years before I start working on the mast again. I guess I'll worry about it then. Still, any ideas and advice are much appreciated.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum