Pouring molten lead onto epoxy-coated wood?

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Pouring molten lead onto epoxy-coated wood?

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:34 pm

Still working on the keel and have read the instruction that says to coat the hollow areas of the trunk with un-thickened epoxy (I'm sure they meant keel instead of trunk). The pictures look like all the inside areas of the keel have been epoxied, even those areas that will have hot lead poured in. If this is true I'm glad I'll be wearing a respirator, and I'll make sure there is no one in the area! :)

Anyway, it seems to me that the lead should effectively seal the wood and you would only need to epoxy the top 3/4" or so.

I wonder also about the lead melting the epoxy and epoxy glue joints. Should not be a problem though as long as the cinder blocks are clamped firmly to the sides--and they did it on the prototype (and so have many builders) without problems. I'm just curious.
DanaDCole

Re: Pouring molten lead onto epoxy-coated wood?

Postby Shudoman on Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:02 pm

Pouring lead also caused me a lot of unwarranted angst. I used and iron teapot and a turkey fryer to heat the lead. Removed the dross with a steel spoon. I wore a respirator, goggles, welders gloves and welding apron. My daughter monitored the entire things and stood by with a fire extinguisher and a hand on the propane valve. It was hot work, lots of the odor of wood burning and the smell of my own fear. In the end it went well.
Last edited by Shudoman on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shudoman

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks, but I think you missed the main question (because of all my rambling). Did you spread epoxy on the inside surfaces of the well that holds the lead or leave them bare?
DanaDCole

Postby Shudoman on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:17 am

Ahhh sorry, I completely coated the inside with epoxy.
Shudoman

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:13 pm

Shudoman wrote:Ahhh sorry, I completely coated the inside with epoxy.
Eases my mind--thanks!
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum