Hard To Reach

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: Hard To Reach

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:25 am

Amazing how well web translator works. Are you sure that lead block, which looks to be at least 50 pounds, plus the weight of the battery won't shift the balance too far forward? You've done a beautiful job on it, but I think epoxy is impervious to battery acid. I could be wrong about that. Why not use gel-type battery instead of lead-acid? More expensive but a lot safer in a boat, I would think.
DanaDCole

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:35 am

Say, what material did you use to make that mold? Looks pretty good. I can think of some places where I would want to make that sort of thing. For example, maybe mold solid blocks of lead that fit in exactly in the spaces below the floorboards. Maybe I need to start a new topic about this idea. What are your thoughts?
DanaDCole

Postby hood on Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:34 am

I want to use motor 5HP Mercury recharging He weighs about 55 pounds.But it will try to ship on the water.The form of plaster for casting lead I did before the front deck.I had a problem working in a small space to add.
hood

Postby MatejProchazka on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:03 am

Obry den, hood, odkud z CR jste? Ja se take chystam stavet pocketship a rad bych se pobavil o tom odkud mate material, jestli jste stavbu resil s SPS a tak.
Mail na mne je harnod75(zavinac) gmail.com
Matej
MatejProchazka

Postby MatejProchazka on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:11 am

All, sorry for the post in Czech. I am just excited to have someone else building PocketShip in the same country as they will have the same materials and legal troubles.
Have a great day, everyone.
Matej
MatejProchazka

Postby truenorth on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:53 am

PocketShip flotilla on the Danube!

truenorth

Postby hood on Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:51 pm

good joke but we Vltava River :lol:
hood

Postby Pastorjim on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:18 pm

I think that is great! Our forum was able to connect two Pocketship guys from the Czech Republic and I got a geography lesson on the Vltava and the Danube Rivers. Sounds like a good day!
Pastorjim

Postby buckeye on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:35 am

I built mine in a tent. It has a series of steel cross-bars and one going down the center of the tent which I could grab and could support my weight getting in and out of the hull and maneuvering around.
Things would have been a lot tougher without that option for support.
I mention this as a way of saying, you might be able to do something in a garage that would give you some hand-holds overhead to use for support as well.
buckeye

Postby SMHolmans on Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:14 pm

I fixed some short uprights to the build cradle and bolted support beams to them, across the boat. They worked great for support when working in the bottom of the hull.

Here is a link to the post https://www.theeynshampocketship.co.uk/ ... beams.html

A really good work step and non slip mats are also essential.
SMHolmans

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum