'glassing bilge panels a little sooner

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

'glassing bilge panels a little sooner

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:30 am

Here's an idea I'd like to put forward. What about fiberglassing the bilge panels right after they are stitched into place on the keel? This would not only be easier than trying to work the fiberglass panels in between bulkheads and floor joists later, it seems to me it would improve the overall strength of the bilge panels. (Easier to sand too, before the side and topsides panels are in.)

I've looked through the instructions and given it quite a bit of thought--so far I don't see a "fly in the ointment."

Any thoughts?
DanaDCole

Re: 'glassing bilge panels a little sooner

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:35 am

I just received an email from John Harris who pointed out that the side panels (and perhaps topsides panels but he didn't say that) help shape the bilge panels, so my idea might make that more difficult. So much for that great idea I thought I had!
DanaDCole

Postby herbt on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:21 pm

If you glass the bilge panels before you stitch on the side panels you may not be able to pull the bow together. It is difficult enough with bare wood and requires using hot water and rags in the bow area to soften the wood.

Herb
herbt

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:38 pm

Well my idea was you would not 'glass them until after you pulled the bow ends together. But anyway John pointed out that further shaping happens to the bilge panels when you install the side panels so that shoots my idea down.

(It occurs to me, though, that the side panels are already 'glassed, so 'glassing the bilge panels after they are installed would make their stiffness more equal to the side panels' stiffness--but I'm not going to pursue it any further. The way it's being done is known to work so we'll leave it at that.)
DanaDCole

Postby JonLee on Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:15 pm

The other thing is that the bilge fiberglass extends up and onto the floors and up and onto the hull sides. So, you'd lose strength in all of those joints if you 'glassed the bilges before assembling and filleting the rest of the lower hull.
JonLee

Return to PocketShip Forum