Centerboard trunk lumber

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Centerboard trunk lumber

Postby wmewheel on Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:07 am

The materials list doesn't list any true1" lumber.
But it looks like that's what's needed for blocking the centerboard trunk.
In the instructions it says to place true 1" /50mm spacers during glue up. 25.4mm, right?
wmewheel

Re: Centerboard trunk lumber

Postby Bflat on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:53 pm

Yes, 1 inch is what's needed for the trunk blocking.
Bflat

Postby DanaDCole on Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:53 pm

As I understand the materials list, they are giving you the true dimensions of lumber you need after perhaps milling it to size yourself, not the "North American Dimensional" sizes. I have found "dimensional" lumber to keep getting smaller. For example, some 1"x4" lumber I purchased lately was only 5/8" thick, not 3/4"!

I have not purchased any lumber from CLC, but I am assuming, and I hope I am right, that what they list, for example, as 3/4" x 7 1/4" is the actual size, and you will not end up with something smaller. Perhaps I should check before ordering $400 worth of lumber.

It has always amazed me that the lumber industry has been able to get away with this kind of deception (lie). What they are giving us is the dimension of the rough-sawn lumber before they mill it down to a more usable piece. That is fine and I am willing to pay for the wasted material, but why aren't they required to list the actual size? I guess that is why now they are able to list as 1", boards that are only 5/8' thick. I guess pretty soon it'll be down to 1/2". Like I said, I don't mind paying for the wasted material, but I like to know exactly what I am getting.

Well, enough of my rant. I hope someone at CLC weighs in soon to reassure us that the size they list is the actual size.
DanaDCole

Postby DanaDCole on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Sorry, I need to add one more thing. You should purchase lumber that is 1 1/2" thick and some dimension wider than 2" (perhaps 2x4 or 2x6) and mill down to 1" x 2" and 1x 1 1/2". E.g., a 2x6 would actually be 1 1/2" x 5 1/2" and you could cut two 1 1/2 x 2's from that (Providing my math is correct, which is always questionable :) ). Then shave off 1/2' for the 1x2's. If you start with an 8' board, there should be enough 1x2 left to make your 1 x 1 1/2 bits.
Last edited by DanaDCole on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum