avoiding a motor

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: avoiding a motor

Postby Shudoman on Tue May 20, 2014 10:06 am

I agree with doing something to make it easier to cleat off the jib halyard. The location is a little awkward to get to from the companionway. I'll probably come up with some solution for mine.

Bill
Shudoman

Postby truenorth on Tue May 20, 2014 4:25 pm

Awesome! I love wooden boats that look like wooden boats. The companionway really stands out as a unique feature. The name... :D

The boat is definitely not as tender as other similarly-sized boats. After a short yet spirited sail at Okoumefest last year, its definitely no dinghy.
truenorth

Postby mark48 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Greetings all PS Sailors,

Have any of you used the stainless "three point" outboard bracket Bill shows on page 1 of this thread with a low (~2.5 hp) gas outboard motor (as opposed to his Torqueedo electric outboard)? If so, how has it held up to the use, weight, and vibration? Can you obtain satisfactory position of the outboard's controls over a normal transom (without a cutaway) while the screw is well below the waterline (using a 20" shaft), and will the screw be out of the water when the outboard is tilted?

Getting close to deciding on an outboard and bracket and looking over all PS Forum posts.

Thanks,
Mark
mark48

Postby mark48 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:13 pm

Also...

It seems most folks using an outboard are choosing 20" shafts (or longer with the Torqueedo). Is anyone successfully using a 15" shaft outboard and still managing the controls over an intact transom, screw in the water when "down," and out of the water when the outboard is tilted "up?"

Thanks again,
Mark
mark48

Postby mark48 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:34 am

Hi all,

Never mind my two most recent posts on this thread. A more careful reading of others' submissions on this topic suggests a 20" outboard shaft length is most appropriate for an intact transom, and the "three-point stainless steel" outboard bracket doesn't allow enough room between bracket and transom for the outboard motor head.

I'll use a long-shaft Honda 2.3 hp outboard and a small-sized adjustable outboard bracket, or perhaps follow Wayne's use of a fixed bracket and measure at least a hundred times.

All the best,
Mark
mark48

Postby craig on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:02 pm

Many of us (including me) have used the Suzuki 2.5HP, which is not a long-shaft motor. It works fine. The 2HP Honda that John Harris used is also a short shaft, if I'm not mistaken. Now, to be fair, you probably will not clear the transom skirt with a short shaft if you don't also have a lifting bracket, especially with the Suzuki since its gas cap is enormous and gets in the way. But it will work and for anybody that has an old motor or finds a good deal on a used one, you will be fine.

That being said, if you have the opportunity to buy a long shaft, then it would allow you to mount the fixed bracket higher and more easily pull the prop out of the water.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum