mainsheet

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: mainsheet

Postby DanaDCole on Thu May 08, 2014 12:13 pm

No, that's great--I'm always glad to learn something new (Cats Paws in this case) and for a refresher. A question: I think not releasing the sheet in time, while not a good thing, is not quite as dangerous in the PocketShip as it is in a dinghy. That is, the PocketShip is not supposed to capsize, and if, heaven forbid, I ever find myself in conditions that could result in a knockdown I would definitely not cleat the mainsheet. (I don't think eight-foot waves are very likely on small Oklahoma lakes--maybe in a tornado, in which case I would hope to be nowhere near a lake anyway.)
DanaDCole

Postby Bflat on Thu May 08, 2014 7:29 pm

I should probably clarify that "cat's paws" in the strictest sense aren't actually just any kind of gust, but result from a down draft that hits the water and spreads out in several directions. Like any colloquialism, the definition and usage is kind of loose.
Bflat

Postby DanaDCole on Thu May 08, 2014 10:10 pm

OK, but what about my question? Just kidding. I know we've gotten pretty far off the subject of the post, but I've been a bit curious about "danger" associated with a ballasted boat where supposedly capsize is rare or impossible--what then is so dangerous about not loosening the sheet in a gust--does it have to do with possibly hitting nearby traffic? Or maybe losing your place in a regatta? Or looking foolish?

And what about "white horses?" I assume they are the foam on top of white caps, but maybe someone else can clarify.
DanaDCole

Postby Bflat on Fri May 09, 2014 1:20 am

Excellent question. Theoretically, once a ballasted boat is laid flat in a wind induced capsize the force of the wind on the sail is nil while the righting moment from the ballast is at a maximum = the boat should right itself. The boat would probably round up into the wind as it rights and the sail will be luffing violently. That's the theory, and largely pretty accurate. Big wind is often accompanied by big waves and those can certainly complicate the situation. In any case I'd say the biggest danger during a capsize is losing a man overboard. Being separated from the boat should be our biggest fear, thus the old adage, "stay with the boat." Breaking something on the boat would be another concern (especially if someone's gone overboard too - Murphy's law).

Practicing man overboard drills is a great way to develop boat handling skills. It's fun and useful. Just throw a spare boat cushion overboard and go get it. Try it while sailing upwind and down. The standard procedure from sailing up wind is to fall off the wind, jibe and round up to the victim. If a jibe seems too dangerous to do, then come about, fall off to get down wind of the victim and then head up to them (kind of a figure 8). If sailing downwind, you just round up to the victim, possibly tacking some to get to them. The basic idea is to approach the victim from downwind so as not to drift over them. The really wonderful thing about all this is that it's pretty much like approaching a pier or mooring so by practicing man overboard drills you're also practicing docking, mooring, even anchoring. It's about momentum - how far will the boat coast when head to wind? With practice you get to know the answer for your boat pretty well.

Of course, in a real emergency getting to the man overboard is only half the battle. Think about how hard it would be to lift a possibly unconscious sopping wet adult from the water and into a boat in big wind and waves. And maybe it's night too. And maybe the boat is full of water. And maybe you're the one that's fallen overboard and the people on the boat don't know how to sail. It's pretty bleak. That's why it's so important to not fall overboard - duh! I used to tell students to consider the boat to be like the edge of a tall building. Do whatever you can to not fall off. Being tethered to the boat is a good idea, especially when singlehanding, even in light weather.

That's my two cents,
Bflat Bob
Last edited by Bflat on Fri May 09, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bflat

Postby DanaDCole on Fri May 09, 2014 3:30 am

Thanks for the great information! For some reason I wasn't even thinking about the going overboard problem--and I'll probably be mostly single-handing or sailing with people who are not experienced. Duh again! I've read a couple posts on this forum by folks who simply fell out of their boats while leaning out to work on something and ended up having to chase them down. Luckily in both instances I read about the winds were light and the boats eventually drifted aground--but it was very scary anyway I'm sure. So I plan to work pretty hard at learning to stay in the boat. Duh again! A tether might be a good idea but I do worry about getting fouled in it.

Well, the alternative is to keep the boat wrapped in plastic and admire it once in a while. Sailing is an adventure, or else why do it?
DanaDCole

Postby John C. Harris on Fri May 09, 2014 8:51 am

>>>>The manual very strongly recommends against one, but I think that has more to do with the realities of inexperience. In other words, the manual has to speak to the lowest common denominator of sailors.
>>

This is the truth, and unfortunately it keeps getting reinforced.

I'd be surprised if skilled sailors didn't quietly install a swiveling cam cleat, for all the given reasons. But since I can't package up sailing experience and common sense and send it through the mail in a neat package, I do not endorse cleating the mainsheet on small boats.
John C. Harris

Postby DanaDCole on Fri May 09, 2014 10:06 am

Well put. Some day, when I feel I have enough confidence and experience, I may add the cleat. In the meantime I'll just try to do a lot of chin-ups between sails. :)
DanaDCole

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum