Slight Centerboard Jam

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Slight Centerboard Jam

Postby Shudoman on Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:26 am

During my first sail in my new PocketShip I went to drop the centerboard but when I released the pendant nothing happened. With the problems some of the other have had this scared the crap out of me. I gave the tiller to my son and went down and opened the centerboard access port. I gave the centerboard a very slight jostle with my fingers and it dropped very quickly down (so fast it startled me). The same thing happened when I sailed it the second time yesterday.

I don't think this has anything to do with wood swelling since it happened right off the trailer on the first sail and didn't seem any worse on the second sail a week later. I think that maybe I got the centerboard's back edge a little close to the back of the trunk and that's where it's sticking. It never stuck during the tests I made with it on the cradle but then again there was no water there taking some of the weight.

I think for now I'll just live with it and see if anything changes unless someone has an idea.

regards,
Bill
Shudoman

Re: Slight Centerboard Jam

Postby Dave Archer on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:36 am

Try heading up into the wind to remove the side pressure on the centerboard, it should then drop easily. I find that mine will not drop unless I do this. It makes sense to me. I've never really had any issues with mine.
Dave Archer

Postby John C. Harris on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:43 am

With even a little bit of wind in the sails, all centerboards---ALL centerboards---will press against the side of the trunk and "stick." This is absolutely normal. To lower the board, just luff the sails to take the side loads off the board.

Well, I guess there are big yachts with hydraulic actuators, but when those fail, they REALLY fail...

I note the hand-wringing over the centerboard in the threads here, but really, everything's a tradeoff. PocketShip's installation is the most forgiving I've seen in boats of this type. Maybe I should revisit a fixed keel option for PocketShip...

Fixed Keel PocketShip - II - Thumb.jpg
Fixed Keel PocketShip - II - Thumb.jpg (210.6 KiB) Viewed 6280 times
John C. Harris

Postby JonLee on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:39 am

But, gosh, that'd be harder to launch from the trailer. ;-)

I'm one of maybe two people who actually has had trouble with the centerboard, and I'm not worried about it at all. Indeed, I've been a little surprised at how much additional discussion/worry there has been about this. I do not believe that the PocketShip centerboard is any more prone to jamming than any other centerboard design out there. I AM quite positive that in the rush to finish my boat, I sanded through some epoxy somewhere (I even think I know where, but haven't had time to confirm my suspicions) and didn't re-seal it. Shame on me. My fault. Any reasonably caerful PocketShip builder shouldn't experience the problems I'm having. And anyone who is really concerned about having their centerboard jam should become a reasonably careful PocketShip builder.
JonLee

Postby Shudoman on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:41 am

I sure John is totally right. I did an experiment dropping the centerboard while at the dock. It went down easily (then up and down again about ten times). Amazing what a little bit of water pressure will do.

Bill
Shudoman

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:29 am

I'm not trying to make money for Jamestown Distributors, but they have a lift system that seems to me the best solution for getting to the underside of the boat. Not just for centerboard jams, but for repairs, repainting, inspections, etc., etc. It's not cheap, but a lot less expensive than the alternative.

Perhaps someone with more experience than me ought to take a look at it:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=59042
DanaDCole

Postby truenorth on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 pm

I like the keel version. Clears up the cabin for all sorts of fun. Maybe just me, but looks a little 'paunchy' in front. If given the choice, I would've gone that route.
truenorth

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:15 am

The keel version might be a good seller. Not for the likes of me, though. I sail in small lakes and reservoirs and need easy trailering and shallow launching. If I ever move near the ocean or a Great Lake I might want one though.
DanaDCole

Postby Dave Archer on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:37 pm

I like the centerboard as it is. As mentioned, shallow launching is a big plus.
Dave Archer

Return to PocketShip Forum