New Builder, Many Questions...

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

New Builder, Many Questions...

Postby Blue2005 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:27 pm

A little introduction, I came across the PocketShip when I googled wooden boats and came across a build yourself. A bit of background, I love water! I love the water, the rising and falling, the rhythm, the peace, the tranquility. Just over a year ago I took up kayaking, it got me out on the british waterways (canals & rivers) but I soon discovered that whitewater kayaking wasn't for me, the going somewhere on a calm river or canal enjoying the scenery really got me hooked. BUT I looked at the many boats passing me and the gentle ease at which they travel (compared to some tough paddling - even tougher if I take a small tent and food) made me very jealous. So the present, I came the PocketShip and came to a decision! I will learn, I will saw, I will sand and glue.

So I bought the manual of which I am reviewing, saving for the plans and decided I will build my ship without the kits. This is down too a few factors;
1. I can't wait while I save up the required funds to purchase and start building.
2. I think I would have a greater sense of... Pride? Accomplishment? If I cut the parts out, shape and sand etc...
3. The time in which I may complete the build may be sooner.

I am working with and take advice from a proper woodworker/carpenter at various stages to ensure I complete build to the highest possible standards. But part of this is that Im trying to plan all the various elements to form a project plan, including costs etc. So I have a few questions, which can only really be answered by those that have built this amazing little boat!.

1. If a single plywood sheet is 2500 x 1220mm then how many sheets did you use to get the component parts? Rough estimates welcome!
2. Any general thoughts on the best thickness of the ply to use?
3. General advice or pitfalls I should avoid?

Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings. I look forward to any advice you all can offer.
Blue2005

Re: New Builder, Many Questions...

Postby craig on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:08 am

The plans describe how many plywood sheets you need, and their thickness (6 and 9mm), in the introduction. I believe it was 14 sheets or so, but I ended up using less because I rearranged some parts and used supplies that I already had. Depending on your priorities you can save money from the kit prices, but it really depends on shipping costs where you live and how much work you want to put in to shop around. I chose to use Meranti plywood instead of Okoume: it's much much cheaper, but trade-off it's heavier. You can use an epoxy that isn't as nice as Mas, and have to scrub off amine blush. You can paint with outdoor deck paint rather than fancy yacht paint.... and so forth. Cost was a very important consideration for me and I did a lot of research into where I could "cut corners" and where I couldn't. But ultimately you need something that is safe. And you also run the risk of paying extra in the long run, by buying cheap stuff now but having to replace it more often.

I am a first-time boatbuilder and this project is very doable, ESPECIALLY if you read the manual carefully and all the blogs that are out there.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Return to PocketShip Forum