Ready to turn

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Ready to turn

Postby herbt on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:46 am

Hope we dont scratch it up too much on the re- turn.
Attachments
IMG_0905 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0905 (640x480).jpg (143.65 KiB) Viewed 9139 times
IMG_0902 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0902 (640x480).jpg (183.58 KiB) Viewed 9121 times
herbt

Re: Ready to turn

Postby Shudoman on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:39 pm

Nice Job!!!
Shudoman

Postby craig on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Looks great! I'm sure the graphite will help a lot for durability and speed. I am considering using it on my hull.
Titania, launched January 2015
craig

Postby herbt on Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks.
I have used epoxy/graphite mix on 2 other boats and I have found that it holds up very well (one boat completed in 2001) with no need for bottom paint unless you are going to keep it in the water for extended periods of time. This one was sanded to 220 grit. Problem with the graphite mix is tiny air bubbles that are difficult to defeat but patience and dragging a foam brush or foam roller over it repeatedly gets rid of most of them and sanding takes care of the rest. You will need at least 3 coats of rolled on or foam brushed on mix to cover.

Herb
herbt

Postby mark48 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:25 pm

herbt wrote:Thanks.
I have used epoxy/graphite mix on 2 other boats and I have found that it holds up very well (one boat completed in 2001) with no need for bottom paint unless you are going to keep it in the water for extended periods of time. This one was sanded to 220 grit. Problem with the graphite mix is tiny air bubbles that are difficult to defeat but patience and dragging a foam brush or foam roller over it repeatedly gets rid of most of them and sanding takes care of the rest. You will need at least 3 coats of rolled on or foam brushed on mix to cover.

Herb

Hi Herb,

Regarding your use of graphite: Did you have to do anything special to paint over the portion of the hull which had been treated with graphite/epoxy? And when you use a graphite/epoxy coat to "fill out the weave," can one still bond wood to that surface with thickened epoxy after sanding the graphite/epoxy base (thinking of the centerboard trunk, for example).

Thanks,
Mark
mark48

Postby jwv630 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:15 am

Herb

She's really lookin' good. What's the name of the blue that you painted the hull??

Jimmy V
jwv630

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:13 am

I used graphite/epoxy on the centerboard, and graphite/epoxy/dynel cloth on the noseblock and front end of the bow. Wish I had thought of painting the entire hull bottom with it as you have. That stuff is really slick and tough, and I did not realize you don't have to paint over it.
DanaDCole

Postby mark48 on Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Dana,

Way back, when you made your centerboard trunk, did you sand the graphite / epoxy coating of the inner faces of the 'trunk before gluing the wood blocking pieces, or did the thickened epoxy bond satisfactorily to the graphite surface without further surface preparation?

Thanks for your posts and blog. I'm reading as much as I can before I get started.

Mark
mark48

Postby DanaDCole on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:20 pm

Wow, that is a ways back. If I can remember correctly, I either left the graphited epoxy off the areas where the blocking was to go, or I sanded it. The thing is, though, that I sanded the entire graphite/epoxy area anyway to get it "as smooth as marble." Before sanding there were remains of bubbles that slightly roughened the surface. I may have posted pictures of the pre-sanded areas, but I do remember they were all sanded with very fine paper--probably 320 grit, do did not look all that shiny, but were very smooth.
DanaDCole

Postby Bflat on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:04 am

When I did it I masked the areas where the blocks would go before applying the epoxy/graphite mix to the centerboard trunk sides.
Bflat

Next

Return to PocketShip Forum