Electric motor decisions

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Electric motor decisions

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:42 am

After quite a bit of research, I have narrowed my final choice to either the Torqueedo 503 L.S. or 1003 L.S. The Lehr propane is a great option also, but I've decided to go with electric for several reasons. I do have a couple questions though, as usual.

Torqueedo recommends the 503 for up to 1,654 pounds, which seems more than adequate for the PocketShip. However, for only $300 more, the 1003 would give me more runtime and more thrust, which might come in handy in windy conditions, while only adding about a pound to the total weight. Any thoughts?

I am a bit concerned about the cost of a replacement battery, $600. That seems a bit steep, even for such a high-tech battery. Has anyone had one of these long enough to need battery replacement? If so, how long was it?
DanaDCole

Re: Electric motor decisions

Postby Shudoman on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:15 pm

I have a Torqueedo 1003 LS. It is a perfect match for the PocketShip. I would pay the extra $300, although both are capable of pushing the PocketShip at hull speed the 1003 gives an extended range and I do have to throttle up enough to significantly effect range when dealing with headwinds and/or current. That is always a consideration as electrics aren't really easy to "refuel". I have a connection that allows charging from my on board battery. I highly endorse this as an emergency solution.

I've had my battery for 5 years and I don't see any degradation. Before PocketShip it pushed a West Wight Potter 19 around easily.

Bill
Shudoman

Postby DanaDCole on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:38 pm

As usual PocketShip.net is a great source of information! The 1003 it is then.

I also like the idea of using the boat's battery to recharge the Torqueedo battery, and I'll have a solar panel on the boat also, recharging the boat battery at the same time. I'm assuming that the voltage is stepped up from 12 to 30 volts--otherwise that will be an additional expense. And it would be nice if the step-up occurs up near the battery, which would allow me to use a smaller wire gauge. I'll have to get on the Torqueedo site and do some more reading.
DanaDCole

Postby Shudoman on Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:15 pm

The solution is simpler than that. I use a power inverter attached to the house battery and simply plug the torqueedo charger into it. Just get one that will handle the current required by the charger and you are ready to go. Total cost for me was around $25. This is a solution endorsed by Torqueedo on their website.

Bill
Shudoman

Postby DanaDCole on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Well duh!! Of course. And thanks for waking me up.
DanaDCole

Return to PocketShip Forum