Floorboard screws

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Floorboard screws

Postby Bflat on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:56 pm

After completing the first installation of the floorboards I've discovered something about bronze screws. I was having trouble with stripping the heads. I thought it was just because bronze is pretty soft. Then I found out about "Frearson" screw heads. It turns out that marine screws often have these style of heads. The screws that came with the pocketship hardware package are of this type. They look much like Phillips heads, but are subtly different and are meant to be driven with a "Frearson" driver. An online search will show what I'm talking about. Anyway, I wish I'd known about this before I kind wrecked a bunch of the screws while putting in the floorboards with a Phillips driver. This is meant as a warning to others (perhaps everyone but me already knew about this). I'm going to get some Frearson drivers and a bunch of new screws before I install the floorboards the final time. Bronze screws aren't cheap. Darn.
Bflat

Re: Floorboard screws

Postby DanaDCole on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:34 am

Thanks for reminding about the Frearson drivers. I might have one around somewhere, but if I can't find it I'll have to purchase a new one. Also probably not best to use a motorized drive unless the clutch is set to its lowest setting and you trust it (trial runs in scrap wood a good idea).

Also, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but for those who might not, be sure you use tapered countersink bits for drilling and countersinking the holes, and be sure the countersink is set to the proper depth. The bronze screws that came with the Skerry were not Frearson or Phillips, just regular slotted heads for a flat-blade screwdriver. I actually broke the heads off some of the screws using a manual screwdriver before I learned about the tapered countersink bits. CLC sells a set and there are plenty of other sources.
DanaDCole

Re: Floorboard screws

Postby Bflat on Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:11 pm

Yeah, I used the tapered drill bit, but have never even heard of Frearson before. They look so much like Phillips I just assumed that's what they were. Live and learn, I guess.
Bflat

Return to PocketShip Forum