Gallows construction

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Gallows construction

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 am

Well, I hope I can be forgiven but I'm making the gallows out of two 1x8s laminated together. The alternating strip version is beautiful alright, but my goal right now is to get the boat on the water by next summer, and the gallows project looks to be huge. I may build one later as a winter project.

Might even do the same thing with the tiller: That is, build simple gallows and tiller for now, then spend the 2015 winter fabricating the fancy ones.
DanaDCole

Re: Gallows construction

Postby truenorth on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:14 am

There are many PocketShips sailing with non-laminated tillers and boom gallows. In fact, i think there's a certain charm to it -- the more knots the better (at least visually). Here in Minnesota, these make for perfect winter projects. Each took about 5 days from hauling the wood home from the lumberyard to sitting on the mantle finished. In other words, not too bad.
Last edited by truenorth on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truenorth

Postby DanaDCole on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 am

Thanks truenorth, your comments are always helpful. Sound like fun winter projects. I was surprised you were able to get them done in five days though (is that 5 days for both or 5 days each). Looking at the manual, the form for the boom gallows looks pretty elaborate--that is what is scaring me off I guess.

At any rate, if I get the boat finished before sailing season I can start on the tiller and gallows before summer 2015. Season starts a lot earlier here than it does in Minnesota, although I still like to wait until May at least because the water stays cold and can be dangerous if you fall in. Probably sounds laughable to you compared to Minnesota, but if the air temp is 65 or 70 and the water is still down around 50 hypothermia is a possibility. At my age I have to watch it and I've read at least two instances of folks somehow falling out of their PocketShips.
DanaDCole

Postby John C. Harris on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:46 pm

PocketShip #1 sailed its first season with a solid ("sawn") gallows and a solid tiller. Anything else is eye-candy, no more.
John C. Harris

Postby truenorth on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Each took about 5 days. These aren't full days as it's a bunch of epoxy / varnish drying interspersed with sanding. A good way to do the gallows is to create a blank from scrap lumber that fits the pattern of the gallows (and, separately, the tiller). With a good set of clamps, you'll be able to pull down the laminations (laminates?) onto the blank. Then rough cut the edges with a band saw and sand to fit.

In the photo, from front to back, you have the pattern, the blank behind the pattern (both in the vice), and the lamination strips. The lamination strips were clamped to meet the curve of the blank.

Couple bits of caution: cut the edges wide of the line so you can sand down to spec. I cut too close and left little band saw teeth marks in my gallows. And go easy on the epoxy. You don't need a lot for the glue up here and much of it will squeeze out.

Here's how I did it. It starts about half way down.

http://sunmonkeypocketship.blogspot.com ... e-ash.html

truenorth

Return to PocketShip Forum