A Companionway Too Far

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Re: A Companionway Too Far

Postby truenorth on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:09 pm

Craig, that's true. It certainly would be a good fix. In the end, it came down to considering the pros and cons of:

1) The domino effect. 2" here may not seem like much but what if I'm missing something?
2) I'd have a hole in the roof if I kept the slide to the plans.
3) I'd lose 2" of the companionway opening if I re-fit the slide.

It turns out it's not that bad of a curve. It's curing now, with tack welds and five clamps across the opening. Adding a little bit of timber to finish the butt block aft helped round the new piece and will help hold it in place as it cures. It's not perfect. As expected, there are certain areas slightly off. However, it's not so much that a little epoxy won't fix. I'm encouraged but will know tonight when I remove the clamps and can fair the rest of it.
truenorth

Postby DanaDCole on Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:35 am

Glad you got this all worked out. Reading all the posts has taught me a lot about how the companionway slide works.
DanaDCole

Postby mark48 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Bflat wrote:Which side of the rear cabin wall is the 20.5" measurement to be made? Fore or aft? I've wondered that since first reading the manual.

Has anyone answered this question? Or are we the only two PS builders who wonder?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Mark
mark48

Postby Bflat on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:42 am

My build is now long past the point it was when I asked the question so my recollection isn't fresh. However, I'm certain that I measured from the aft side of the aft cabin wall and that worked out.
Bob
Bflat

Postby mark48 on Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:06 am

The 20.5" measurement between the aft cabin wall and companionway edge of the cabin roof is to be made along the center-line, not the port and starboard companionway edges, correct?

Thanks,
Mark
mark48

Postby Wayne G on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:58 am

The companionway opening runs parallel with the rear cabin wall so it should be the same 20.5" on both edges and the center.
I don't think the precise length of the opening is critical provided the sliding hatch is slightly longer (or at least not shorter) than the opening to ensure the companionway keeps water out.
Wayne Gray
Orlando Florida
Wayne G

Postby mark48 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi,

For the geometry folks out there, because the rear cabin bulkhead has a curved upper surface and the whole bulkhead slants forward, measuring the fore-and-aft opening along the boat's centerline (from the temporary bulkhead piece still tabbed into the opening) will be a tad shorter than if this opening is measured along the outboard edges.

In answer to my own question above, Page 11 of the plans specifies the 20.5" measurement (pg. 171, gluing the cabin roof) to be made along the outboard edges of the companionway opening. Regardless, as Wayne notes above, the sliding hatch must be long enough to keep water out.

Always good to study the plans and manual together! :-)

All the best,
Mark
mark48

Previous

Return to PocketShip Forum