Seat Deck Framing around Hatches

Welcome to PocketShip.net! This bulletin board is for builders of the Chesapeake Light Craft-John C. Harris "PocketShip" design, a 15-foot micro cruiser sailboat built from a kit or plans.

For more information on PocketShip, click here: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship

This site gathers PocketShip builders in one place. Here you can share photos, tips, questions, and---eventually---your sailing adventures in PocketShip! CLC will also post design updates and tips here as they come up.

We'll try to knock down spam as quickly as possible.

Moderator: John C. Harris

Forum rules
Spam or commercial posts will be deleted.
This is a civil forum: no flames or drunken tirades.
Please stay on-topic.
PocketShip's Web Page: http://www.clcboats.com/pocketship
If you need CLC customer service: http://www.clcboats.com/forms/contact_us.html
We'll try to delete spam as soon as it appears.

Seat Deck Framing around Hatches

Postby Bflat on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:30 am

I plan to install the standard Bomar Hatches to the Lazarettes as per design. I'm wondering if others having done so can offer any advice as to making this easy. Specifically, I'm wondering about the placement of the seat framing and footwell cleats around the hatch area. I'm nearing the installation of the seat decks and would like to get the framing in good position in anticipation of placing the hatches. Anything you wish you'd done a little differently to make it easier to mount the hatches later on?

Relatedly, did you use wood screws or machine screws through bolted for the bomar hatches?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Bflat

Re: Seat Deck Framing around Hatches

Postby truenorth on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:53 pm

Bob, I haven't mounted the hatches yet but am getting close. I'll likely 'glass some or all of the cockpit this weekend and the hatches are sitting in the staging room waiting their turn. Regarding the cleats, I wasn't clear where to put them. In the end, I contacted another builder and he gave me the specs:

14" outboard and parallel to the footwell sides. The cleat that runs forward is 11" outboard, leaving 3" between notches. The forward cleats should end at the centerboard trunk as the side ones do (or should).

This gives enough clearance for the hatches. You'll see in the photo you are clear to the transom. So as long as you know where you put them outboard of the footwell, you'll be OK.

Otherwise, I had no particular problems here. One thing I did a little differently is I only put cleats where they were needed. Meaning, I didn't span across the entire bulkhead 8 but cut them to fit from side-to-notch. Same thing at the transom; I didn't cut away any parts but sized the cleat to fit. It seemed to be a lot easier than scraping off epoxy. In hindsight, the only thing I'd do differently is to add at least 1/4" on the transom cleats that support the decking (you can do this by laminating or using a full 1" board). This will make it a bit sturdier and give the deck something stronger to sit on as it cures.
truenorth

Re: Seat Deck Framing around Hatches

Postby Bflat on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:13 pm

Thanks!
Bflat

Return to PocketShip Forum